Plastic Phils Phalse Bottom

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of those plastic Phils phalse bottoms and got it to work I reckon it must float and block up ,I am willling to give it one more go before I use as a frisby for the dog .

Am I doing anything wrong .

Pumpy

I've been using one in a small Daddy Cool mash tun for about 8 months now. The fittings were actually put together by GMK.

It is a s-l-o-w sparge sometimes, but it does work for me.

Can't see how it would float up, once you have a body of grain mass above it.

Pumpy, take the small clear tube and throw it away, then fashion a copper or ss tube to take its place, no floaties.

I used to use one of those in a 20L Rubbermaid. Way too slow. Going to make a circulalr manifold for the rubbermaid and throw the stupid false bottom away.

Jovial Monk

I have just used the s/s braid for my keep cold mash tun i couldnt be bother hacksawing heap of cuts in a manifold again

Jazman said:
I have just used the s/s braid for my keep cold mash tun i couldnt be bother hacksawing heap of cuts in a manifold again
[post="53983"][/post]​

We said Jazman
Braid the best manifold you can get

(hides under the computer desk in wait for answers) :ph34r:

Batz

Ok will give it to the dog and give the braid a go Batz swears by them how long should the braid be ,do I form it in a coil ?

Pumpy

mine i got 600ml long it it work but i would of prefered a longer one and is cheap will post pic soon

Pumpy

This is mine I think it was an 18 inch one

Batz

Thanks Batz that will do me do thats a good pic . how long would it take you to get the wort out of a batch with that .

pumpy

You will need to slow it via your value , so it's quick ;)

Batz

Hi Pumpy,

What happened to the gravel that you were using last week?

Was that to hold the plastic false bottom in place? :D

:beer:
Cheers

Phil's Phalse bottoms are fine.

You need to modify them as per JM's instructions. I just fashioned a copper tube to replace the plastic one. This clamps the false bottom in place. Doesn't move at all.

Only other problem is that grain can still creep under the circumference of the FB. To avoid this I got a length of 10mm racking tube and sliced it up the middle. then I just push it around the false bottom to form a seal.

Warren -

ICAM0013.jpg

That is exactly right, Warren. I had seen a picture of a Phils Phalse bottom modified just like that.

JM

Batz,
I like the look of your manifold. But what type of braid do you use for it? Is it like braided electrical conduit with the core removed or something different?

thanks

vlbaby.

Dicko,
re the gravel I did explain that it was a test batch and the batch is still in the Secondary will bottle at the weekend and test in two weeks with the next door neigbour see if there are any after effects first .he!he!

Warren that is neat thanks for the pic

Pumpy

I would not be doing that , and I would use a "T" and make your manifold a full circle

Well that's what I do anyway

Batz

Hi Bigfella,

If you fit a copper pipe, you may as well just use it as the manifold and forget the s/steel braid.

The only advantage with the pipe inside and the slots facing downward would be that you would drain a tad more wort from the tun as the syphon would continue until the level reached the slots.

Of course, this could be a litre or so in a large diameter tun and the larger diameter the braid, then the more you leave behind.

As Batz said, use a "T" and join it, or if you are worried about the wort left in the tun and you are considering copper, then check the designs of manifolds in JJ Palmers book - "How to Brew"

The amount that is left behind can always be compensated in your Promash / Beersmith / similar, software, by adding a bit more grain to the mash.

Cheers

Thanks guys i sort of thought as much. Thanks for confirming it for me.

Back