Plastic fermenter & sodium percarbonate?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leyther

Reaction score
I've just kegged up my first beer and its now time to clean the fermenter, when I bought my kegs I also bought some Sodium Percarbonate to clean them and some Star-San to sanitse.

Just wandering if its ok to use the Sodium Percarbonate on the plastic fermenter or if thats not suitable for plastic?

Thanks, I thought it would be ok, but being first time just didn't want to use something that may damage it.

Completely fine use it on my fermenter and no chill cubes brings them up bright white again after storing wort in them

Great for when the fermenter's got a bit of age even if it's not filthy but discoloured.

Every now and then when one's looking a little sorry I'll get mine and leave them for a week with a little so I can lay it on its side and liquid's in contact with the wall, rotate it few times a day for a few days.

Rinse the living shit out of it with hot water x 5

Leave it in the sun for a day or so

Perc works on just about anything. I've got kilos of it at the moment, and over the last few days I've:

Perced my white volleys, came up like new
Perced my white polo shirt
Perced my feet (soaked in a big bowl) before a visit to the podiatrist - strips off all the dead skin etc etc.
And I perced a ferementer.

Magic stuff but doesn't taste too good.

I have been adding about a 1/4 cup of caustic with the usual 1/4 of perc to a full fermenter of warm water (i cant get hot oit of the tap) in an attempt to try and break up the cleaning routine. I wasnt sure if it would do anything but the KK website says that together they a very affective cleaner.?. Im just not a sure if 1/4 to 30lt will do anything.

I soak em over night with lid on in the bath. Id go more but i have little ones around.

Perc is not too good for leather. I soaked some kids shoes. The plan was to soak for about an hour or two, but I forgot about them. A couple of days later, the leather has turned into jelly and you could easily push your finger through it. I imagine perc will do similar stuff to your skin, so protective gloves now seem like a very good idea.

Bribie G said:
Perc works on just about anything. I've got kilos of it at the moment, and over the last few days I've:

Perced my white volleys, came up like new
Perced my white polo shirt
Perced my feet (soaked in a big bowl) before a visit to the podiatrist - strips off all the dead skin etc etc.
And I perced a ferementer.

Magic stuff but doesn't taste too good.
I hope you didn't use the one solution for all of those applications Bribie... :huh:

nosco said:
I have been adding about a 1/4 cup of caustic with the usual 1/4 of perc to a full fermenter of warm water (i cant get hot oit of the tap) in an attempt to try and break up the cleaning routine. I wasnt sure if it would do anything but the KK website says that together they a very affective cleaner.?. Im just not a sure if 1/4 to 30lt will do anything.

I soak em over night with lid on in the bath. Id go more but i have little ones around.
Hows it working nosco? Better than just sodium perc by itself?

I soak my fermenters overnight with sodium perc after every brew to make sure the surface is actually clean (not just visibly clean), I either rise and use straight away, or if it sits for a bit after rinsing it will get some Starsan.

If the fermenters been used for a wild brew or I'm at all worried it gets nuked with sodium hypochlorite bleach after sodium perc.

interested to try caustic and sodium perc in combination.

No way of telling really. The perc cleans everything visible within an hour or 2 and i always take my taps apart. I should look up what ratio of caustic other people are using. Hopefully its enough to kill any bugs that might have adapted to just perc.

I had a pils that had a wild yeast infection (im pretty sure) which is what has promted the extra measure.

Back