Plastic Conicals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just had a look. They seem good but damn expensive

Shipped here they are over 300 dollars less then a stainless steel one, so i dont see them as that expensive!

Doesnt someone in WA make plastic conicals any way?

As far as I can see the only benefit of a conical over our 'standard' Australian fermenters is that you can collect all the sediment so it sits under the draw-off tap, so you are getting clear beer from the first drop. However I find that with a good cold crash and finings I get that with my current system anyway. I do need to 'clear the throat' of the tap and waste maybe a pint but after that it runs almost bright and will be fully bright once I get my filter for light coloured beers.

Also you would need a mighty fermenting fridge to keep one or two of those in.

As far as I can see the only benefit of a conical over our 'standard' Australian fermenters is that you can collect all the sediment so it sits under the draw-off tap, so you are getting clear beer from the first drop. However I find that with a good cold crash and finings I get that with my current system anyway. I do need to 'clear the throat' of the tap and waste maybe a pint but after that it runs almost bright and will be fully bright once I get my filter for light coloured beers.

Also you would need a mighty fermenting fridge to keep one or two of those in.

Also very good for light lager brewing, Drop the break material out as fermentation begins to kick off.

To be honest, for the amount of beer I brew plastic fermentors are fine.

I would think SS would be harder to manipulate when cleaning..... (I pick my plastic ones up and shake the with 2ltrs of boiling hot hater out of the jug to sterilise)

I was more so thinking that your yeast trub would be easy to collect for your next brew, and decanting beer would be easier for blokes like me that dont have a filter

Back