Plastic Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

im_hoppin_mad

Reaction score
plastic bottles does ne one use them

i find they have low carbonation
am i doing some thing wrong i use
a full tea spoon when i prime ive
even done half half batches half
plastic and half glass i find the glass
better

savt3f690bb63d0a9.gif

I personally avoid using plastic bottles. Glass is a much better option.
It is stonger, insulates your beer better and cant let any gas escape. Also it is darker which helps if light strike is a problem.

Speaking from a toolmaking background (plastic injection moulds) Plastic is easily tainted (smells and tastes stay in the plastic) Also certain plastics when thin enough leak gas molecules. Like a balloon full of helium, they always go down over time.

This could also be a problem with those plastic bottles. I havnt ever used them so im not sure on this. I presume they shouldnt leak though being P.E.T.

mudsta said:
I personally avoid using plastic bottles. Glass is a much better option.
It is stonger, insulates your beer better and cant let any gas escape. Also it is darker which helps if light strike is a problem.

Speaking from a toolmaking background (plastic injection moulds) Plastic is easily tainted (smells and tastes stay in the plastic) Also certain plastics when thin enough leak gas molecules. Like a balloon full of helium, they always go down over time.

This could also be a problem with those plastic bottles. I havnt ever used them so im not sure on this. I presume they shouldnt leak though being P.E.T.
[post="86959"][/post]​

thanks mate for ya input i find the same thing
thats why i reckon plastics have low carbonation
i thought i was bull s#@$ing my self

Plastic is ok for short term storage. You just need to up the priming sugar a tiny little bit, as a bit more pressure seems to be required to 'stiffen up' the bottle first.

That makes sence. It would have to use a bit of co2 to do that.

I use plastic and love it - ha. I love not having to put on a cap on a glass bottle, just screw it on the PET and you are done.

Coopers make brown 740ml PET bottles designed for brewing. You an get them at Coles or Bilo.

What I like most is that you can tell when the beer is carbonated by squeezing the bottle and the yeast deposits in the groves at the bottom of bottle, staying there throughout the pour.

I've heard glass is better for long term storage, but my beer is rarely long term (something wrong with it if it is).

Personally I prefer low carbonation beer, but I have had plenty gas up really hard providing large bubbles and head.

When short on bottles I sometimes use old 1.25 & 1.5l soft drink bottles.

I guess it's personal preference, but I will not be going back to glass.

I prefer glass, merely because it feels strange drinking beer out of a plastic container. I subconsciously expect something sweet to come out (as plastic is used for soft drinks mostly), and something completely different comes out! So... I went glass.

If you are space challenged then Coopers PET they take up less room
There is no problems with them long term.
They take a little longer to carbonate ,I am unsure if that is because the stretch a bit .
Dont break easily.
Caps re use easily up to five times .
I have never had one break, so Ok to store in the spare room .

However having said that I like glass bottles as it what you would expect a beer authentically to be served from, but it is purely asthetic .

Pumpy

Back