Quantcast

Plastic Barrel For A Keg - Is It Possible?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

grave_rcz

New Member
Joined
16/6/05
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hey Guys, I am living in Switzerland at the moment and it is nigh on impossible to find any equipment. I have been brewing and bottling for a while but want to keg up but can't get anything without selling a kidney. What about if I just put the brewed beer in a 15 liter plastic barrel (see attachment) and add the primer? Surely this will be effective and will keep me happy :chug: til I pop back to Oz next year. Waddayareckon?

15LitFass.jpg
 

Bilph

Well-Known Member
Joined
26/1/05
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
There was this Plastic Keg on Ebay pointed to by this Ebay thread which is a similar set-up by the looks and Mothballs post (#124) gives a bit of detail.

Apparently you'll still need to dispense with CO2.
 

Jye

Hop Junky
Joined
9/5/05
Messages
3,190
Reaction score
7
When the ecokeg first came out I sent them an email asking if they would be doing public sales or to local HBS but got no response :(

I can see everyones brew size stepping from 23L to 30L as soon as these things hit the pubs :D
 

Uncle Fester

Old, Grumpy and PROUD of it!
Joined
18/1/05
Messages
938
Reaction score
4
Location
Goulburn
I have had a look at the web site, but at first glance I cannot find out dimensions of this beastie. Looking at the ABC web page, it looks a little largish, and would be fairly inefficient to stack in a fridge?

Would be excellent if a flooded font was efficient enough to act as a temprite, but alas no.......

M
 

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Joined
4/5/04
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
11
:excl: Warning, don't cut the tops out of these, fit a ballvalve and bung 'em on your NASA.

Variable results will be achieved. :lol:

Warren -
 

Murray

Beer bear.
Joined
24/9/03
Messages
749
Reaction score
3
warrenlw63 said:
:excl: Warning, don't cut the tops out of these, fit a ballvalve and bung 'em on your NASA.

Variable results will be achieved. :lol:

Warren -
[post="77546"][/post]​
Now you tell me :angry:
 

Sean

Well-Known Member
Joined
8/10/04
Messages
441
Reaction score
2
grave_rcz said:
Hey Guys, I am living in Switzerland at the moment and it is nigh on impossible to find any equipment. I have been brewing and bottling for a while but want to keg up but can't get anything without selling a kidney. What about if I just put the brewed beer in a 15 liter plastic barrel (see attachment) and add the primer? Surely this will be effective and will keep me happy :chug: til I pop back to Oz next year. Waddayareckon?
[post="77466"][/post]​
The kinds of plastic kegs are pretty common in UK homebrewing circles. The main problem tends to be the taps on them, which tend to drip very slowly when the pressure gets high. Otherwise they are fine.
 

Scotty

Well-Known Member
Joined
5/10/04
Messages
233
Reaction score
0
I want some, does anyone know if they are available to home brewers or just commercially?
 

Uncle Fester

Old, Grumpy and PROUD of it!
Joined
18/1/05
Messages
938
Reaction score
4
Location
Goulburn
I have tried to get a response from this mob via email, but no joy. Has anybody actually been able to contact these guys?

I have found an ABN, and the company is still registered, but all I can find is a PObox, and an email address - No phone number.

Have they moved off-shore?

M
 

Wortgames

'Draught' is not a beer style - it's a lifestyle
Joined
20/3/05
Messages
1,679
Reaction score
38
Location
Melbourne & Southern Riverina
My guess is that people like us are just an annoyance to them. That figure of $30 each is CUB's price to buy hundreds of thousands of the things, not a retail price for them to have to deal with a customer to sell one.

Since that program aired he's probably had no end of tightfisted home brewers saying 'can I buy one for $20 cash, and will you fit postmix valves for me, and can you deliver to woop-woop by Australia Post' etc...

There's also the possibility that CUB are negotiating to somehow restrict their ability to supply other customers and maintain a market advantage for a few years.

I'd say the only way we are getting hold of these is once they are well established supplying the big boys, and even then probably only if a homebrew shop places an order for a hundred or so.

Otherwise, just collect them for free in a couple of years from country pubs when they have done their 'single trip'.

:super:
 

Hoops

Well-Known Member
Joined
30/11/03
Messages
1,289
Reaction score
2
Wortgames said:
I'd say the only way we are getting hold of these is once they are well established supplying the big boys, and even then probably only if a homebrew shop places an order for a hundred or so.
[post="77981"][/post]​
I smell a bulk buy coming on
 

Uncle Fester

Old, Grumpy and PROUD of it!
Joined
18/1/05
Messages
938
Reaction score
4
Location
Goulburn
Hoops said:
Wortgames said:
I'd say the only way we are getting hold of these is once they are well established supplying the big boys, and even then probably only if a homebrew shop places an order for a hundred or so.
[post="77981"][/post]​
I smell a bulk buy coming on
[post="77988"][/post]​

Have these heathens not heard of GMK Enterprises? :p
 

johnno

It's YUMMY
Joined
15/7/03
Messages
2,800
Reaction score
6
Wortgames said:
Of course, if we're lucky, there'll soon be a load of stainless ones going cheap!

:beer:
[post="77992"][/post]​
We can only hope Wortgames.
Somehow I dont see the big breweries selling these to anyone.
But who knows.
On the other hand imagine how valuable the SS kegs would be if they started decomissioning them and they beacme harder and harder to source.

johnno
 

Latest posts

Top