Places To Go Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seamad

beer dog
Reaction score
Heading to melbourne this friday for our first weekend away without the kids. Havent been there since i was a kid and no idea where to go.
Looking to go out friday night to a brewpub or something along those lines. Staying in cbd so somewhere close would be good.
Mountain goat has a pizza night on friday, anyone been, worth the trip?
Any suggestions welcome

Cheers
Sean

Enjoy! The Goat is great for beers but I prefer the Royston Hotel for food, also great beer on tap.About 200m up the road from the Goat.

stretch the legs with a wander up Brunswick street and pop into Little Creatures then around the corner to the Rainbow. Mrs Palma's up the top end of the CBD has some good beers on tap. Where you staying ?

Cookie is good for a decent beer and good food. On Swanston street

CBD - Beer deluxe at fed square, biero in little lonsdale street, mrs parmas up little bourke st and Penny Blue just off little bourke st, near elisabeth.

Shout out if you're interested in meeting any Melb brewing people for a beer or two.

Somewhere recommended to me that was quite cool, not beer related though, (although they did have some decent beers in the fridge) is Madame Brussels on Bourke St.
Very very random cocktail bar on a 3rd floor with an great outside area as well.
Worth keeping in mind as somewhere for a non-beer person with you...

Although there are others with a bigger beer list I always like to visit Penny Blue, just a great tiny bar for some good beers and a chat.

There are many good places though, you'll be hard pressed not to find some good places to go.

Would really like to meet up , put the idea to the missus, told that first weekend away from the kids...no chance shes going out with a bunch of fellas talking beer. I suppose i can see her point of view, appreciate the offer .
Looks like there are plenty of places to go down that way.
Cheers
sean

If it's just a couple of days you have and it's a weekend away with the lady then keep it sacred.

Nothing wrong with that.

Next time, but any of those places I mentioned are easy to get to and will slake your beer thirst, no worries.

Thanks everyone, Im lucky she enjoys a few brews. Plenty to choose from. Looking foward to it, booked flower drum for lunch, probably pm 24 on sat night if we can get in. Shitload of places to choose
There are a couple of ska bands down that way, any chance if there are any gigs on the friday/ sat night?

I'll add another vote for cookie. Their drinks list is pretty massive and their thai food is on the better side

Found the food and wine festival website. Sat and sun from 12-5 have food, wines and 6 breweries for $35. White rabbit and mountain goat there plus some others I havent heard of plus some good wineries. Might be worth a stroll around

Beer de luxe in fed square. If you like hoppy US beers, go there, they have great beers

There is a german resturant (Forgot the name) accross the road from Flower Drum. They do an awersome feed, and beer of course!

The talk of Melbourne at the moment is Temple Brewing's new digs in Brunswick East.
I haven't been but people are saying to me it's freaking amazing and you can walk around and see all the bling.
Just a short tram ride out of the city. They have a couple of specialties on tap you can't buy packaged either from what I hear:

Temple Brewing

Usual suspects for an ale:
- Mrs Palmas (Great big parmas and good craft beer)
- Biero ($6 pints of craft beer on Wednesday nights - great range in the beer tubes all other times)
- Beer Deluxe (Pricey and ask what it costs before you order or don't buy pints - some can be $15 or more - but legendary beer range)
- Local Taphouse St Kilda (More craft beer and internationals available than you'll find anywhere in Melbourne - always surprises)
- Little Creatures Dining Hall Fitzroy - 10 min tramride out of cbd (Yep it's little creatures but beer is fresh, the food is great, and there's a winelist for the ladies)

The Mountain Goat Brewery (Richmond) and the Royston Hotel (at the end of the street the brewery is on) also get a big tick.

For a list of other craftbreweries in vic & melbourne metro checkout visitvictoria.com.au

Hopper

Back