Pizza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sourdough base.
Chicken, fresh mango, orange habaneros.... nom nom nom... and ouch, it burns and makes me drink more.

DeGarre said:
I just tested this Gianni's method and I am convinced. Base was soft but firm, smooth, slightly sour. A good rise due to this separate 1/4 of the flour with yeast -method, I usually use 6 1/4 cups flour but today only needed 4 cups for same size and thickness. Thanks for the tip!
Gianni's pizza sauce method is good too, infusing the garlic into the oil by starting with cold oil in the pan. My shop bought pasta/pizza sauce days are over. Here's one, olive oil, sauce, swiss cheese, mozzarella, stilton, ham, mushrooms, tomatoes:

PC300008_zps4eae4355.jpg

Next one is going to be anchovy, sardine, capers.

All washed down with homebrew. Cheers!

PC290006_zps2188bad6.jpg

A someone that eats Pizza most nights, a good home cooked pizza isn't unhealthy. It can contain a lot of vegetables and is portion controlled. I like to use Lebanese bread as a base to get more of an authentic Roman style without any effort. Bit id tomato paste with a bit of bottled garlic, spread with a pastry brush. A light sprinkle of cheese.Then some mushies, capsicum, onion, and some shopped bottled chillies either hot or not. maybe a light sprinkle of dried oregano. Into an oven at 200 for 20 to 30 or when ever I am getting up for a refill.

QldKev said:
We've been making pizzas for years. I always used a bread maker for followed the recipe from it and was pretty happy with the result. In the last 6 months I tried a hand made pizza dough following, it's a simple recipe with no oil etc in the dough. I have not use the bread maker since. He has some other excellent recipes too, like his roasted potato.

Thanks for the link Kev, did these bases a coupla weeks ago and damn they were tasty. Kept it simple like his vid. No sauce, just roma tomatoes sliced up, basil and cheese. Yeah I probably shouldn't of turned the browning element on but I had the oven cranking and they cooked in under ten minutes.
20131217_184739.jpg
And don't tell DucatiboyStu but rehydrating the yeast made a huge difference IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eat again. Luckily I'm a piss head so I have time to copy that.

Camo6 said:
And don't tell DucatiboyStu but rehydrating the yeast made a huge difference IMO.
Whatever.

I allways rehydrate bakers yeast with a touch of sugar.

Bumping this.

Had a bit of an interest in building a proper clay pizza oven about a year ago and did a wood fired pizza making class in good food week 2015.

Decided not to bother, although I would like one I don't really have the space to build it in.

Anyway I bought a discounted coolabah wood fired pizza oven from Aldi today for $130 (original price $200).

Not sure if anyone else has used one, but thinking of ways to maybe also use it as a smoker box?

image.png

Thats the best I can do for now photo wise. Might just have a crack at some pizza tomorrow night if I get the chance.

i would love a proper pizza oven but have to make do with the oven....

love a good pizza
here's my chicken and pepperoni from Sunday night

DSC_1653.JPG

Been working on my dough game. Knocked out four of these bad boys on a pissy Sunday arvo.
Sensational.
yb0MPvN.jpg

Been working on my dough game. Knocked out four of these bad boys on a pissy Sunday arvo.
Sensational.
yb0MPvN.jpg
Not a fan of pizza but my wife ordered one on a recent outing to the Pig and Whistle. she couldn't eat it all and gave me some, what made it for me was the pesto on the pizza, bloody delicious

Recipe please?

Good question, I have been trying loads of different recipes and ingredients over the last few years and I am happy with this one.
The key is the fermenting, the flour and the hydration. I use the Lighthouse bread & pizza dough from Coles at 62%.
So for a Kg of flour is:
1Kg Flour
620ml Water
20g Salt
20g Sugar
5 tsp Olive Oil
3g Yeast (I use lowans)

Mix half the water with everything apart from the yeast. Mix it well, it will be dry as. Add the yeast to the remaining water while you are mixing.

Add the rest of the water/yeast mixture and mix/knead
I use a bread machine but it's easy enough by hand. Separate into pizza size balls, cover in more olive oil and put in individual sandwich type bags

Then in the fridge for around 48 hours, this one was only 36. Take them out around 4 hours before you plan to use them.
Easy as.

Last edited:
Good question, I have been trying loads of different recipes and ingredients over the last few years and I am happy with this one.
The key is the fermenting, the flour and the hydration. I use the Lighthouse bread & pizza dough from Coles at 62%.
So for a Kg of flour is:
1Kg Flour
620ml flour
20g Salt
20g Sugar
5 tsp Olive Oil
3g Yeast (I use lowans)

Mix half the water with everything apart from the yeast. Mix it well, it will be dry as.
I use a bread machine but it's easy enough by hand. Separate into pizza size balls, cover in more olive oil and put in individual sandwich type bags

Then in the fridge for around 48 hours, this one was only 36. Take them out around 4 hours before you plan to use them.
Easy as.
Senbloodysational!
Thanks for sharing your recipe.
I have been in search for 3 years or so of a recipe to make a pizza like yours. How do you cook it? temperature? time? oven type? stone or metal tray?
That sauce looks great as well, is it store-bought?
Cheers

Last edited:
So for a Kg of flour is:
1Kg Flour
620ml flour
20g Salt
20g Sugar
5 tsp Olive Oil
3g Yeast (I use lowans)

Mix half the water with everything apart from the yeast. Mix it well, it will be dry as.

Easy as.

Excellent! I'm going to assume the 620ml is water not flour :)

I might give this a go on the weekend!

Senbloodysational!
Thanks for sharing your recipe.
I have been in search for 3 years or so of a recipe to make a pizza like yours. How do you cook it? temperature? time? oven type? stone or metal tray?
That sauce looks great as well, is it store-bought?
Cheers

Wood fired pizza oven, hot as hell, no tray just the bricks. Cooks in around a minute.

If you cooking it in an oven I would use a stone and have it all as hot as possible. My oven at home goes to around 250 I think, that should do it.
The cast iron pan method works pretty well too if you google it. Probably better than the oven.

Sauce recipe:
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp Olive Oil
1 clove of garlic
1 or 2 basil leaves
1/2 tsp Balsamic
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1/4 tsp salt

Blend 3/4 of the tomatoes with everything else and then add the remaining tomatoes.
This makes it mostly smooth with just a few 'lumps' of tomato
Heat slowly until it simmers, taste it and see what you think.
Add some water if you think it's too thick.

That's all there is to it.

Back