Pizza Peel? Hmmm, I See A Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punkal

Reaction score
I will not be back in Australia for a few months yet but that does not stop me from looking for new gear and bling on ebay and other sites.
Tonight i was looking for some nice large stainless steel boil pots or similar (didn't really find any) when i happened to see what i thought just screamed MASH PADDLE on close inspection it turned out to be a pizza peel, so i quickly did a search on ebay for pizza peel and i was in pimped out mash paddle heaven...
It didn't take long to decide that i had to have one and that my fiancee's mums house was a good place to get it delivered...
I ended up getting a all SS 800mm total length version and for $15.99 + $7.70 (delivered to Sydney) you can't go wrong
Pizza_Peel.jpg
I also looked at a 1100mm and 700mm versions, i felt that 700mm may be just to short and the 1100mm one was maybe just a little to expensive i am hoping and thinking that 800mm will be more than long enough...

Anyway here is a Ebay Link to the item but there were a lot of different paddles...

I hope that I am wrong, however I am not sure if they are built to withstand the type of stress stiring mash will put on them?
Lifting a pizza is realtively quick and easy when compared to stiring a mash which is more effort for a longer period of time.
I noticed that some of the dedicated mash paddles have really strong welds between the handle and the paddle and they also have holes in the paddle to reduce the resistance when stiring the mash.
I am sure that others might be interested in how it holds up after a few brews, so be sure to keep everyone posted.

They could work ok, but I'm wondering how long that handle will last. I guess if it bends you haven't spent a fortune so no real sad loss. I used 30mm stainless pipe for my handle, works a treat :icon_cheers:

I got a couple of "mixing paddles" at about the same price. Same sort of deal with lengths etc but it has a rectangle blade that is thick and very robust.
I then drilled a heap of holes with a holesaw into the blade (PITA by the way).

Mash_paddles.JPG

Available from catering wharehouses etc.

Ok when i finally get home ill have to test it out and see how it does... If it does break ill revive this post and warn people out...
They look good Malted, the holes look really good too... Any special technique used?

How'd you go with the pizza device?

I need a mash paddle and this looks good.

Paint stirrers are great for mashing, but something like this could be great for whirl-pooling. My plastic spoons really don't do a great job of it.

I got a couple of "mixing paddles" at about the same price. Same sort of deal with lengths etc but it has a rectangle blade that is thick and very robust.
I then drilled a heap of holes with a holesaw into the blade (PITA by the way).

View attachment 45230

Available from catering wharehouses etc.

Craftbrewer also have this type, I could not even get the bits to make it for the cost.

QldKev

If it doesnt work you could use it for pizzas

sav ;)

Back