Pitching Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagger

Reaction score
Gents I am after some advice, is it better to pitch all the yeast from a smack pack after a stater has been made, or make a stater say litre split into 5 or so containers then restart those containers up each time the need to use that yeast and discarding the slurry.

At present I make a stater pitch the lot and after racking to the secondary clean and store the yeast for next time, this has worked very well but was just thinking there might be a better way.

Stagger

I am of the 'split the original" camp and have been happy with the results.(similar to batz method)

Borret

I make up my 1.5l starter and immediately draw off 400mls, put that into fridge for next time. Works well.
Cheers
Steve

Stagger said:
Gents I am after some advice, is it better to pitch all the yeast from a smack pack after a stater has been made, or make a stater say litre split into 5 or so containers then restart those containers up each time the need to use that yeast and discarding the slurry.

At present I make a stater pitch the lot and after racking to the secondary clean and store the yeast for next time, this has worked very well but was just thinking there might be a better way.

Stagger
[post="68084"][/post]​

What I do is, make a 1L starter from the smack pack. Devide the starter into 7 stubbies of about 125ml each. Make sure that you use the best possible asseptic condition that you could achieve, sterile stubbies area, etc. Cap and store the stubbies in the fridge. Two or three days before I need some yeast, I use one of those stubbies to make another 1L starter, and save another 125ml from this lot before pitching. For Lagers, you might want to step up your starter to 2L. There are a lot of info on this forum about yeast farming, starters and methods. To date, what I am doing is working for me. Read up on how long can you repeat this proceedure before it might be considered no longer viable though.

:beer:

Back