Pitching yeast ( need help)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azzwa

Reaction score
Hi just wondering everyone thoughts on pitching yeast. I am about to do a lager brew and I am using a saf lager yeast should I get the temp of the wort to 12 c then sprinkle it over the top or should I hydrate the yeast then put it in as a liquid? I'm new to the brewing so any help would be good.

hey mate, welcome to brewing!

it really can vary depending on the beer/style/yeast you have, but most good yeasts have pitching instructions online - is this the one you're using?

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/SGG_W34_PL.pdf

EDIT: so that link is in another language entirely...i'm trying to find an english version now...

this is from craftbrewer for W34/70

Pitching Instructions:
Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 23C ± 3C. Once the expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to 30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration.
Recommended fermentation temperature: 9C – 15C, ideally 12C.

Just pour 250ml of boiled water into a sanitised container, let it cool to about 25 deg celcius, pour your dry yeast in, stir with a sanitised stirry thing until all mixed, let it sit for about 15 mins and pitch into your wort. Wort temperature can be up to about low-mid 20's, then put it into your fermenting fridge and let it ferment at 12 deg c.

While it's fermenting read up on diacetyl rest.

From my experience lagers generally take much longer to kick off. The first time I did one I was freaking out when I couldn't see anything happening on day 2. And the last time I tried a pilsner it got infected, I'm pretty sure due to under pitching.

My suggestion is buy a 2nd pack.
With your wort at room temp (low-mid 20's), sprinkle the 2 packs on top, then put it into your fermenting fridge and let it ferment at 12 deg c.

If you don't want to buy the 2nd pack read up on how to make a starter.

As Steinberg says a second pack is definately a good idea.
Otherwise try pitching at about 22-24 degrees and keeping it there for the lag phase, which is from pitching to about 15 hours in and then dropping to a fermentation temperature of 10-13 degrees. You should get away with this as the yeast will produce minimal flavour compounds during the lag phase.
I reckon you'd be better of with a second pack of yeast, rehydrate then pitch a degree or two lower than your fermentation temp and let it slowly rise over the first 12-36 hrs until it hits the temp you want, as you will achieve a more controlled rate of growth.
Least that's what Jamil and Chris White reckon.

You could also consider making a starter if you don't have a second pack of yeast (or don't want to spend the money on one).

I've never made one personally, but from what I've read they are fairly simple, and are generally a good idea for lagers. If this isn't quite correct, hopefully someone with more experience can chime in:

The day before you brew, boil up 1L of water and add about 100g of sugar (dextrose or LDME will be fine). Boil for 10 minutes or so to make sure all sterilised. Transfer to santised container and cool to pitching temperature. Pitch the yeast and cover it (glad wrap and and rubber band would probably work well) and leave it for 24ish hours. Pitch the whole starter into your brew when it has reached pitching temperature on brew day.

Glengine said:
The day before you brew, boil up 1L of water and add about 100g of sugar (dextrose or LDME will be fine). Boil for 10 minutes or so to make sure all sterilised. Transfer to santised container and cool to pitching temperature. Pitch the yeast and cover it (glad wrap and and rubber band would probably work well) and leave it for 24ish hours. Pitch the whole starter into your brew when it has reached pitching temperature on brew day.
Use LDME instead of dex for starters, and swirl/shake the starter as much as possible (whenever you walk past it) - or better yet, get a stir plate ;)

Latest posts

Back