Pitching Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goat

NULL
Reaction score
I pitched my starter into the cooled Pilsner wort on Sunday afternoon. The temperature was 27deg. which was the same as the starter so, assuming that would be better for the yeast (no shock), threw it in (forgetting to leave some to store for another brew of course :angry: ). Was this too hot?

The temp had stopped getting lower (using an immersion cooler) so I didn't really have much choice anyway. I left the wort out over night and by morning it was bubling away (at apprx. 22deg) so I put it in the freezer and set the temp to 15deg then this morning lowered it again to 10deg. This was based on reading somewhere that the temp must be lowered gradually...

Have I stuffed it up? I was just reading about fusel alcohols etc etc :blink: and now I'm worried.

Goat,

You should be fine.
First of all the yeast does not produce any off flavours etc in the first 12 hours of active fermentation. In the first period of time after pitching the yeast is growing and multiplying.

I have pitched lager yeast at 26 degrees before with no problems.
I then put the fermenter into my fermentation fridge set at 11 deg C.

The important thing is to get the temp down before you hit high krausen. If you haven't you will have a hard time trying to low the temp with all that activity (is it exothermic or endothermic; I can't remember). And then of course you will be running the risk of off flavours.

RDWHAHB.

Beers,
Doc

PS: What lager yeast are you using ?

Hmmm - thanks Doc. It did hit High Krausen before I wacked it in the freezer - I guess I'll find out in good time

I used the Wyeast Bohemian Lager (2024 I think) in a 800ml starter

Doc,

Pardon my e - ignorance, but RDWHAHB??

TIA :)

Shawn.

RDWHAHB = Relax don't worry have a home brew

Doc.

Optimum lager pitching temp is 23C

I would ensure the wort is at lager ferment temp (8-10C) within 12 hours or so, can be a bit longer with liquid yeasts

Jovial Monk

Thanks for the advice JM - I feared as much. Oh well, next time....

Back