Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Pitching into finished Beer

Discussion in 'Yeast' started by Jmax, 11/11/19.

1. Jmax

Posted 11/11/19
    Hey guys,
    I’m currently not at home where my beer is fermenting and it’s the first time I’m using a liquid yeast (wlp001). I had to get my brother to do the dry hopping and take a gravity reading for me. He gives me a result of 1.030 6 days after pitching, for a 1.041 OG. He pitched a pack of us-05 for me because I’m thinking it’s a stuck fermentation, but the hydrometer was floating from bubbles and the actual reading was 1.012.
    All the research I’ve done has told me not to worry, but that’s been for a genuine stuck fermentation. Any idea what could happen by pitching a full pack into a finished beer?
    Thanks

2. wide eyed and legless

Pro Pro

Posted 12/11/19
    Only a guess, as US 05 doesn't need oxygen then it could start to ferment a little more providing there is enough sugar. Just leave it for a few days and see if there is any more movement, if not then take your next step bottling or keg and learn from your (or your brothers) experience and let the sample gas out before taking a reading.