Pitching extra yeast when fermentation looking complete? Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim3011

Reaction score
HI guys, I have a kit and kilo lager sitting in the fermenter for 10 days now at about 8 degrees, still slowly bubbling away, my OG was 1.060 and my current gravity is sitting on 1.030 and has been like that for about 3 days now, so it’s looking like fermentation is complete even though it’s bubbling still slowly but thinking that might be just all the spare Co2 now bubbling out instead of it being fermented. My aim is to get it down to 0.020 or a little below is it worth adding some extra yeast to give it a little shove? Cheers
Jim

Warm it up a bit, let it come up to maybe 18oC until its finished (which it isn't).
To cold ferment you need a lot of yeast at the start, (if you used the kit yeast its nowhere near enough) the yeast you pitch is only a seed, it reproduces to hundreds even thousands times the initial population, during reproduction it consumes some of the stuff in the wort we want gone so all good. Add more yeast at this point and it wont reproduce as its missing the fractions consumed by the initial pitch, so you would only be adding a tiny fraction of what is already there.

Most of the flavours yeast makes are produced in the first 24-48 hours so warming the brew up wont do too much harm.
Lager brewing is pretty technical, at least it is if you want to make good lager, be a good idea to do a bit of study on how to brew lager.
Naturally I'm assuming you are using an hydrometer to measure gravity, a bit more info on what the Kilo in you K&K was would help to.
Mark

Back