Pitched Starter no activity can i use a pack of WB 06 in a Stout?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scmgre

Reaction score
I had a brew day on Anzac day and made a coffee espresso stout I chilled to around 70 degrees then no chilled I thought my starter was healthy as it was ranched from the primary and washed from my last but 1 brew (a steam beer) so yeast was collected 3 weeks ago and stored in the fridge after washing. I made a 750 mill starter and there was definite activity. I pitched it this morning at 8 am its been 13 hours and no activity is this normal for WLP810 or should i chuck in my only other yeast which is a packet of dry safbrew WB 06? I think with the amount of dark malts and coffee the yeast has bugger all to do with the flavour but i could be wrong.

recipe:

San Fran Cisco Lager WLP810
47g Nelson Sauvin boil 40 minutes

28g cascade flame out
[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]0.18kg chocolate malt[/SIZE]
0.23kg Carafa 1
0.23kg caaaroma
0.4 kg Roasted Barley
1kg Munich light
1kg pilsner
1kg vienna malt
2.25kg pale mat
48 shots of espresso in the secondary (haven't got there yet might dial it down as this looks like a mad amount of coffee)

Well the coffee taste won't be subtle will it!

What was the OG?

Can't hurt to just leave it until tomorrow morning. Even if the yeast were actively fermenting the starter, they still need to go back into the reproductive stage to increase their numbers for their new medium, hence lag.

Isnt 70 deg a little on the low side to then put into no chill cube?

doon said:
Isnt 70 deg a little on the low side to then put into no chill cube?
Risky, but not if you have 100% faith in your sanitation process.
Considering breweries who flash pasteurise use temps of 69c for one minute up to 74c for 15 seconds, I'd say it's okay.

Fair enough. I chuck mine in hot so couldn't remember the lower limits on it.

I rarely no-chill but also chuck it in the cube as hot as possible as soon as possible just for peace of mind.

OP, I am curious as to why a lager yeast in a stout? Also that probably explains the longer lag time.

Definitely dial back the coffee shots. It will be undrinkable.
You'll already get a little coffee flavour from your spec grains.
As you alluded to, I'd be tasting after fermentation and deciding from there how much (if any) coffee to add.

Lager yeasts can be used in stouts, Guinness in Australia is done on a lager yeast for their two varieties. <historical> When Tooheys got the contract in the 1970s all their ale brewing capacity was taken up with Old, and Guinness were happy for them to use their lager plant, then CUB took over and used a lager yeast, now the contract is back with Lion I understand</H>

I suppose if you are looking for a cleaner less fruity finish a lager yeast would be ideal.

Don't forget that there is a lag phase as the yeast breeds up and uses the available oxygen before going into the anaerobic fermentation phase. And yes typical of a lager. So no krausen for a day or so can be a good sign of healthy growth initially.

I only had the lager yeast on hand. i will be dialing the coffee back :)

Back