Pitch From Krausen To Save A Dud Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogger

Reaction score
I'm doing a side by side wheat beer with Belgian Wheat and Forbidden Fruit yeasts - problem is the Belgian hasn't fired (or at least minimal after 15hrs. I'm not talking airlock - I have a close to mirror surface on the dud); while Forbidden is very active, krausen etc etc. I don't have any backup wheat yeast; so thought I'd scoop out Krausen from active and move it across.

Aside from sanitation issues - anyone see any problems and/or had experience with this?... Approx target volume to scoop out would be good... I'm thinking 1 cup should do it... 21l Batches.

Tx in advance.....

Look up top cropping - it works very well.

However check to see if gravity has dropped before getting too concerned.

I have done it by the way - top cropping uses super healthy active yeast.

1 cup is probably more than twice what you need.

I'm doing a side by side wheat beer with Belgian Wheat and Forbidden Fruit yeasts - problem is the Belgian hasn't fired (or at least minimal after 15hrs. I'm not talking airlock - I have a close to mirror surface on the dud); while Forbidden is very active, krausen etc etc. I don't have any backup wheat yeast; so thought I'd scoop out Krausen from active and move it across.

Aside from sanitation issues - anyone see any problems and/or had experience with this?... Approx target volume to scoop out would be good... I'm thinking 1 cup should do it... 21l Batches.

Tx in advance.....

Has the gravity dropped at all? I had a brew not long ago look like nothing was doing 24 hours in, but I took a gravity sample and it had dropped by about 10 points. Turned out to be a ripper.

I wouldn't be getting at all concerned after just 15hrs.... RELAX she'll fire unless you have some reason for thinking the yeast is a dud?

Cheers Ross

I concur.
I've had brews that have taken well over 24 hrs to get started and have turned out fine.

Just checked my Wit made on Saturday I have
40lt in a 60 lt fermenter
26 lt in a 30 lt fermenter
2 x 21lt in a 20lt cube

SG of 60lt and 30lt 1.013
SG of cubes 1.024

So i top cropped 60 and 30 lt
Poured straight into the cubes And gave them a shake

Back