Pitch fresh Wort onto Yeast from Secondary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esssee

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am Crash Chilling a Pale Ale I made two weeks ago, ready for my first kegged beer (Woohoo).

I fermented as normal, then racked it off the Yeast cake, into a secondary fermenter, and as mentioned, crash chilled it to drop out more Yeast.

My question is this:

There are a few millimeters of Yeast at the bottom of the Secondary Fermenter. Once I keg the beer, could I pitch a new cube of wort onto that Yeast?

I was wary of doing it on the Primary Yeast, as it would have been over pitching, but this Yeast cake has considerably less in it.

Your thoughts?

Probably not the ideal. These yeasties that are last, means they are the slower floccers. Good chance they wont be as fit for purpose as the others. I would be harvesting the right amount from the primary fermenter if I was going down that route. There are plenty of harvesting yeast threads. Its about half a cup of trub for 20L or so. Disclaimer below.
n.b. I dont use this method. I prefer to build up a fresh lot from a third of a new smack pack each ferment. Thats just me, coz its easy.

Slowest floccers are generally the best attenuators. Depends what you want I guess.

See how much volume of yeast there is left over and compare to the recommended Mr Malty amount of slurry - generally you don't need much, so I'd reckon you'd be over pitching. I never rack to secondary though, so I've got no idea how much yeast you've got left over in there.

Latest posts

Back