Pissed After One Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBeerBoss

Reaction score
Hi,
This is like the stupidest topic you will ever see. OR IS IT?
Anyways im obviously into making beer amoungst other things. I do lots of chemical extractions and shit. Which has got me thinking maybe i can combine my knowledge of chemicals and extraction procedures. Im thinking i can make the ultimate Beer. Called "Spirit of Beer".
Beer=alcohol
Isoprohyl= Alcohol
Hmmmm anyways i want brew a dark strong ale. Using Isoprophly (99% alcohol) maybe 1 litre of 500ml in the bottom of a jar and add some hops in there so the hops flavour and colouring is soaked into the Alcohol. The next trick is to find out how and when to add the 99% alcohol. Without effecting the brewing process. My thought is that it should have no effect on the brew. My only problem being 99% alcohol evaporates very quickly but if its stored how beer should be out of the heat and out of the Light it should work.
In turn creating a drink that tastes like beer but is like 50% alcohol hehe the perfect drink.
WHAT U RECKON GUYS? PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TAKE THE PISS AS A TOPIC LIKE THIS IS ASKIN FOR IT.
CHEERS

NBB,

Here goes.
When they make fortified liqueurs - they add white spirit to it.
Generally, you brew normal wine or beer - upto 10% for beer 14% for wine.

Once fermentation has finished, you add the white spirit upto the % alcohol you want - a refractometer would be good here to measure the %.

Drawbacks:
over 15 % yeast cant survive - therefore, you will not be able to bottle condition said beer - will need to force carbonate it.
You will be creating a beer liqueur.
Once beer gets over 10% - they refer to it as a wine - hence barley wine.
You can try your method on some Mead first.

Aternatively,

Add the white spirit/alcohol to the glass prior to pouring the beer to get an idea of what it will taste like before you proceed.

Hope this helps.

NBB: have you ever drank anything that is 50% alcahol? trust me.. its an experience... and it wont taste anything like beer..

if you really want to make strong beers, look into big belgians.. or Russian imperial stouts..

of course you could just add enough pure alcohol to the bottle at bottling time to bump it up 5%, but you may have trouble keeping the yeast alive... you could think about dropping it in at drinking time though..

one longneck at around 10% will see you pretty toasted though.. :) (think of it as a 6 pack of beam and cola's)

also a thing to remember is that sometimes alcahol about about 90% is dried with benzene to get out the water.. you probably dont want to drink that..

Why not just get the appropriate yeast to make some high-alcohol strong ales.

Theres really high alcohol beers out there like:

Dogfish Head 120min IPA (21%ABV, 120+ IBUs)
Samuel Adams Millenium Ale (20% ABV)
Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (theres 18%, 21% and 23% versions!)

Theres many barley wines available too that are 12-25% ABV. Many Imperial Stouts are more than 10% ABV, as with Belgian Strong Ales.

With the right aeration, and good yeast, it is possible! :) Personally I wouldnt want to add spirits to my beer. I like the alcohol disguised by the taste. Most strong ales and stouts do this.

edit: Also, heres some info on one yeast that can reach 25%. Looks like its a bit of effort to get there though!
http://www.whitelabs.com/gravity.html

Ice filtering is another trick to boost alcohol above the level of the yeast. ie, chill the fermenter to below zero and remove the ice crystals that form. Will probably kill the yeast tho, so bottling a carbonated brew will probably be out of the question.

I think i'd use ethanol rather than isopropanol

your all bloody dangerous. 5% is heaps enough.
your dead for a long time.

fingers said:
your all bloody dangerous. 5% is heaps enough.
your dead for a long time.
Bah! 5% is enough for "every day", but sometimes a nice 10% Belgian goes down well or a nice malty 8% doppelbock. Adding pure alcohol to beer seems weird to me, tho. Why not just have a shot of spirits followed by a beer? Or if you want rocket fuel, just skoll straight from the mower fuel tin.

Please _DON'T_ use isopropyl alcohol. You will poison youself.
If you really want to make a strong beer ( ie >20%) then I suggest fortifying it, ala port.

The spirit can be obtained two (well, possibly three) ways:

1) Distill it yourself (can be risky if you don't know what you're doing)
2) Buy ethanol in it's various forms. look at how well carlton cold shots are doing.. (Yuck!)
3) get it from the big drum at the end of the hall at work. (well, it works where I live!) :)

thats the idea.
make a distillers beer. ie 10% alc and no hops. then distill.

My beer on tap at home at the moment is around 4.8-5% i think.. the one in the fermenter is hopefully going to get down to 6.5% :)

i'm going to make a lawnmower beer at around 3.5 soon..

As well as what it does to the stuff between your ears have you ever heard of brewers droop?you blokes might as well tie the TITANIC to the end of your dick drinking stuff like that.

hahaha!

secondly, do you drink to get pissed or drink because you like the taste etc. 90% alc is just that! 10% beer it would taste like crap! you wouldn't be able to have a mouthfull, it would be sick!

I rather try to brew all malt full flavour and try to knock the alc down so i can drink more without the pissed feeling. (somtimes i drink to get drunk but not on my better brews)

Do you want to make a 90% beer ... because you can? or because you want to drink it?

Also i am sure if the "law" found you with it they would get all cranky etc etc

no matter if for some reason you do make/brew/come up with a 90% film yourself drinking it i want to see the effect :) hhehehe

best of luck

edit: cant spell... must be pissed

fingers: if i got brewers droop.. it would have saved me a lot of hassle before now :)

Me too! :D

Gotta go - nappy needs changing on the young fella :(

Cheers,

TL

Buy a still if you want to get pissed

Ben said:
hahaha!

secondly, do you drink to get pissed or drink because you like the taste etc. 90% alc is just that! 10% beer it would taste like crap! you wouldn't be able to have a mouthfull, it would be sick!

I rather try to brew all malt full flavour and try to knock the alc down so i can drink more without the pissed feeling. (somtimes i drink to get drunk but not on my better brews)

Do you want to make a 90% beer ... because you can? or because you want to drink it?

no matter if for some reason you do make/brew/come up with a 90% film yourself drinking it i want to see the effect :) hhehehe

best of luck

I drink becuase i love hops and beer and if u listened u would know what im on about reason for using isoprophly is that its good for extracting smell and taste. Eg making hash oil.
As i said in the original post i would sit hops in the 90% to flavour it maybe some dried malt to jus so it tast ok.

And i want a 90% drink i guess because i beleive i can.
Whats wrong wit that.

Ben said:
hahaha!

best of luck

I drink becuase i love hops and beer and if u listened u would know what im on about reason for using isoprophly is that its good for extracting smell and taste. Eg making hash oil.
As i said in the original post i would sit hops in the 90% to flavour it maybe some dried malt to jus so it tast ok.

Whats wrong wit that.
And im sure if the law caught up with me they wuold have a field day and my 90% brew is the least of my worries.

Ben said:
hahaha!

best of luck

Whats wrong wit that.
And im sure if the law caught up with me they wuold have a field day and my 90% brew is the least of my worries.

Cheers anyways

Back