Pipe In Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on the length of copper pipe that I would use in the HLT for maintaining temperature for the mash in a rims/herms system.
I have a 50ltr HLT and I thought of using 3/8" copper pipe coiled inside it.
I intend using a March pump.
Thanks,

Well BBB , Iam using 18 metres of 1/2"

I think this will work well but time will tell , I'll post pics when complete

Yeah,
Thanks Batz,
I cant find any info anywhere about this part of the equipment.
When I was with Jayse I should of had a look in his HLT but his is smaller than 50ltrs.
I would recon that the "more the better"
I will wait to see if anyone else has any ideas!
Cheers,

I am not going to run mine via a HLT as its such a large volume of water hence slow with respect to temp changes.

rather i am going to run it throught a copper pipe/coil inside a small volume of water that is temp controlled (via the output of the coil) hence large temp changes should be quick to respond..

working on the software for the temp control now

BBB,
There are stacks of setups on this site.
You may get some ideas here. I think there are lots os explanations, photos etc.
I'm sure there will be a similar section on this site with all the different AHB members setups one day.
I posted this one last year but I still havent gotten to it yet.
http://brewery.mvlan.net/folder/011/Homebr...es%20Directory/

cheers

Actually, had a look at a couple of diffrent sites.
There are some mean pieces of equipment out there.

Johnno,
Wow!
Looks like I will spend another day at the computer checking out that site.

Ben,
I like your idea - sounds quite practical.
What size water tank will you be using and how much pipe in your coil?

Cheers and thanks,

I am not sure yet, I have a link at work (i'll try to post it here) thats shows a setup, He used a paint tin of some sorts :) but it could have been rather large, it contains a electrical ellement, the wort coil(unsure of size etc) and it was insulated.

hence when you want to rip up the temp real quick you just blast the paint tin to give you quick responce time, rather than needing to heat an entilre 15-20Lt of HLT

but, the bigger the coil, the more.... water to grain you will need as its going to hold a known amount of wort. and of course the more wort in the coil the better the temp x-change so its all a compromise

i havn't set mine up yet so cant not really advise on what is working for me, but i will as soon as i get it working

Ben,
More good comments and food for thought.
Probably about a 5ltr tank would be all you would need.

Cheers,

Back