Pint Of Beer For A Pint Of Blood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I'm sure this would work well in Oz too :p

Beers,
Doc

CLEVELAND, Ohio (AP) -- Some in Michigan who roll up their sleeves to donate blood will get a racetrack T-shirt, hat and pin. Sponsors in San Diego have given away whale-watching trips. On Wednesday, the Cleveland Regional Transit Authority handed out vouchers for a pint of any beverage, including beer, in exchange for a pint of blood.

The Cleveland promotion was the latest gift offered by businesses and organizations that sponsor drives to try to build up the blood banks, many of which are running desperately low, including in some parts of Ohio where there was less than a day's supply.

"Pint for a pint is a catchy message," said Karen Kelley, spokeswoman for the Red Cross in northeast Ohio. "I can see co-workers or neighbors getting together days following the drive to enjoy a celebratory drink for having helped others."

Kelley said the supply in northeast Ohio area including Cleveland was critically low. There was less than a half day's worth of type A negative, for example. Without new donations, area hospitals will be forced to rely on neighboring states for blood -- if those states can spare it.

Nationally, there was about 2 1/2 days' worth of blood on hand Wednesday. A healthy supply is five to seven days' worth, said Michelle Hudgins, spokeswoman for the Red Cross.

Hudgins said the vouchers handed out in Cleveland can be used for any beverage in the city's Warehouse District, a collection of trendy bars, night clubs and restaurants near downtown.

But beer or any other kind of alcohol is an option, as long as the donor is over the legal age of 21 and waits at least 24 hours after giving blood to drink alcohol. Giving blood leaves people dehydrated, so the alcohol could have an extra strong effect too soon after donating.

Frank Humr, a city firefighter who donated Wednesday afternoon, said he'd give his voucher away.

"I don't drink anymore," said Humr, 44. "Maybe I'll buy someone a beer. I donated blood, I'll donate my beer."

Kelley said the point was more about getting the attention of the 95 percent of eligible blood donors who don't give.

"The voucher is for a beverage of your choice. In my case that would probably be a mocha latte with shaved chocolate," Kelley said.

The transit authority also gave away free bus rides to the drive site in the Warehouse District to downtown workers who wanted to donate during the event, which ends Thursday.

"To get the blood supply up beyond emergency levels, we all need to do our part," said Joe Calabrese, the authority's general manager.

The idea to trade brew for blood has been used before -- local breweries in Colorado last fall gave away free beer during a drive for the United Blood Services of Durango. And businesses and other sponsors of blood drives for years have been giving away goodies such as pizza, pies or coupons for discounts on books.

The Red Cross Great Lakes Blood Services and Michigan International Speedway are teaming up for a blood drive on Saturday. Donors get a Spirit of America 400 T-shirt, hat and pin. Kodak will give away disposable cameras and donors will be offered other gifts, including ice cream and track tours.

In February 2003, the San Diego Blood Bank had a drive in which participants got a voucher for a whale-watching trip courtesy of local sports fishing shops.

Hudgins, the Red Cross spokeswoman, said the group appreciates the push for donors but can't always promise incentives.

"We don't want them to donate just because there's something in it for them," she said. "The real gift is that they could be saving up to three lives."

A pint of stout for a pint of blood sounds like a bloody great idea. I dunno about this 24 hour wait business, though.

heyas,
It is not a good idea. That is why it is has been abandoned in australia. Only encourages the down and outs of society to donate blood. I thought the Yanks would have learned from their pay for blood experiences. How many of you would like blood from someone you may have seen asleep in the park? Sounds good on the surface. I think it is better that people donate for charity alone.
extra serious mode off.
cheers
Darren

whilst I wouldn't say no to a pint, Darren has a great point. Encouraging blood donation via good will can only produce a better outcome. Must go and donate :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I just like the idea.

my alcohol has some blood in it so i guess im ineligible as a donor.maybe i should just hook up and give the alcohol in exchange for blood. ;) :D

Yeah and they bag it without screening it first too.

Like the same as no-one knows where youve been on the internet 'cause you've got McAfees or you use Hotmail instead of Gmail cuase they dont read your stuff

A litre of blood usually gets broken into several blood products; as well as transfusion stock. Platelets,plasma,etc,etc

read on and expand your world

http://www.giveblood.redcross.org.au/displ...=28&ParentID=23

Latest posts

Back