Pinlock Keg Socket Tool

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wimmig

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble finding somewhere to find a pinlock socket from in AUS. Does anybody know if any HBS in AUS has them readily available? They are cheap in the states ~ $10 or so but, of course, the shipping is a joke. I'd rather buy one, couldn't be bothered making my own.

Like the one in the link below;

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/media/c...m/image_830.jpg

13/16 socket long socket (from Bunnings or local tool shop) + bench vice + grinder = pin-lock socket.

Because looking at that socket, that is all they have done...

If you're not that handy or don't have the vice/grinder, I would take your keg and the new long socket to a local tool shop and they will knock it out in 6 minutes.

Angus.

Oh, by the way, I tried my spark plug socket on my ball-lock and it didn't fit (socket was too big). So maybe check the size of the your pin-lock post before you start buying sockets and modifying them...

Or maybe pin-lock is different to ball-lock?

What are you going to use the socket for? I have pin-locks and haven't encountered the need for such a tool as of yet...

I'm not a very handy person and I wouldn't describe nicking a couple of slots in a socket as "making" anything... angle grinders are very easy to use and they will cut slits like that in even the toughest tempered steel in a blink. The hardest part would be marking out where to cut (which you could just base on your gas/beer posts). If you don't have a vice, you could just be dodgey and fit it in your socket wrench with a 90 degree adapter so that you can keep it still. It's only a grinder, you'll be right :p

So you want the tool in order to remove the post plugs? Gotcha. By different posts, do you just mean the two pin and three pin to differentiate between liquid and gas? I've never seen pin-locks in any other variation. Either way, it would seem it's just a matter of marking the socket where each pin is and nicking them with a cutting disc on a grinder. And shipping a socket that size - surely they can send it on the cheap? I've had heaps of small/light stuff shipped from the States for under $10.

So you want the tool in order to remove the post plugs? Gotcha. By different posts, do you just mean the two pin and three pin to differentiate between liquid and gas? I've never seen pin-locks in any other variation. Either way, it would seem it's just a matter of marking the socket where each pin is and nicking them with a cutting disc on a grinder. And shipping a socket that size - surely they can send it on the cheap? I've had heaps of small/light stuff shipped from the States for under $10.

Dead on. It's just a slotted bit. Small and light. I'll try email some of the USA guys directly and see if they can put it in a cheap envelope rather than rely on the shipping options. It's hardly able to get damaged in the post.

I just couldn't be bothered cutting one myself ATM.

I think I'll be needing one of these also... the poppet on my beer out has been shot since I bought it, and it's only getting worse.

Can someone please confirm something for me?

With pin lock, do you use the the actual pins as the "things" that the socket grips to turn? As I cannot see any nut-like socket "thinks" at the bottom of the post for a socket to latch onto.

...please excuse my lack of correct terminology.

Also, did anybody end up finding something locally? Or purchasing from o/s. I don't own a grinder, and the acquisition of said grinder (and possible vice) makes this a not so cheap exercise.

2 Bucks from a flea market for an old 21 mm socket 4 cuts with a 100mm cut off and you're there..

Yes, you'll need the slots to do it easily.

pinlock_socket.jpg

Martin

thanks for the reply Martin.

But, can you please tell me if there is a nut-like base fixed to the bottom of the posts that the sockets grips to turn, or does it grip the pins through those slots?

I use one of these tap removing tools with slots cut. Works and cheap.

41+l7dvgs7L.jpg

thanks for the reply Martin.

But, can you please tell me if there is a nut-like base fixed to the bottom of the posts that the sockets grips to turn, or does it grip the pins through those slots?

You're welcome.

The socket slide neatly over the base which grabs and the pin slots just allow the socket to get that far down.

If you go to the page that DU99 put up, and click on the pic, it'll show a blown up version of the pic. The pins are located about half way down the "nut", but the socket grips the nut, courtesy of the slots. If you just try to screw off a post using the pins, the 2 pin one will often shear at least 1. Make sure your slots are wide enough that they don't come in contact with the pins.

I've used mine to rebuild about 50-60 without issues. Prior to that, broken pins were common.

Martin

thanks lads, makes perfect sense.

just have to drain 19L of beer, and I'll give this a go... it's a tough life!

it was a joke mate... I have to drink 19L of beer before I can disassemble the keg ;)

Im not 100% certain, but the US pin lock corny kegs may be different to the aussie pin lock kegs..

Ive got rheem pin lock and their is not hex. nut on the base of the post, so I can only imagine the tool will turn the post off using the little stubs or pins...

The us pin locks may be different however...

Back