Pink brass after soldering. Copper? Safe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've tried searching heaps, but there is either a problem with my technique or the search function itself...

So my mate silver soldered some fittings together for the mash tun & it's pink around the solder points.

Is this just copper drawn out of the brass during heating & if so, is it safe to use? He's a plumber & seems to think so, but I want a brewing opinion.

I hope so, as the new rig is due to take it's maiden voyage tomorrow :)

If your decribing what im thinking of, its from the copper. Just clean as you usually would newly welded fittings and it will be ok.

If you're still unsure post up a pic and ill let you know

Got a photo? I'm a plumber myself and I know what you mean. Pretty sure the pink stuff comes from the flux which we use when soldering copper to brass. There's no way of doing it without flux. Should only be external of the weld. Depends where it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Cheers for replying guys.

Have attached a pic.

No amount of elbow grease is getting this off!

BTW, this will be inside the mash tun...

DSC_0374.JPG

Yeah that's what you get from flux/solder/brass. Can't tell you much else mate. Sorry. I'd imagine it would be ok after a good scrub and clean. Looks like your plumber friend has done a nice neat job too. Not too much flux. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Yep absolutely fine. I weld brass fittings to copper on jobs in the food and beverage industry and all we do is flush the system before use. You have to do that anyway to remove all the flaking in the copper due to oxidization.

Excellent, thanks guys!

But just to be sure...you are aware this joint won't just be carrying liquid? It will immersed in the mash.

Fingerlickin_B said:
Excellent, thanks guys!

But just to be sure...you are aware this joint won't just be carrying liquid? It will immersed in the mash.
You can boil it first. I usually boil anything new to make sure its all good (if it can be boiled that is)

But honestly a good clean/flush will do the trick

Cool, thanks again :)

I was more worried about flux residue being in contact with the wort, but I guess you're saying it doesn't matter...which is great :D

Fingerlickin_B said:
Cool, thanks again :)
I was more worried about flux residue being in contact with the wort, but I guess you're saying it doesn't matter...which is great :D
Lol, no you dont want flux residue contacting the wort, If there is any slag on the internal joint it should be minimal and will wash away when you flush it.

It is a result of the flux.

When you weld with flux, like you do when welding copper to brass, it can create a slag. This will be washed away when you clean it.

You wont get rid of the discoloration, but it is nothing to worry about.

Sorry to confuse you, worded badly.

Ah, got it!

Yes there was slag similar to that when soft soldering too hot/for too long. That scubbed off :)

Thanks again :D

drop the whole thing in a citric acid bath for an hour (or even dilute hydrochloric like 1 mins) for a quick clean.

the whole thing will go "pink" looking

but after a while it will go back to "brown" when it all tarnishes

looks like a pros work but :)

Latest posts

Back