Pinch Valves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosko11

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but with a lot of blokes building 2-3 vessel breweries incorporating valves, has anyone looked at using a type of pinch valve (DIY/off the shelf) with the silicon tubing instead?

I dunno, I would have thought it a neat solution, only having to clean the tubing and no need to dismantle and clean 3 piece valves etc. But seeing I cant find any previous attempts by a diyer or off the shelf jobbies that would do the job, I guess theres some issue like tubing durability, leakage issues or something that Im not aware of.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Don't think the durability would be a real concern as the silicone hose most people use is the same as used in peristaltic pumps... least I'm pretty sure it is.
I can't picture the 'off the shelf' units that you're talking about. Got a link to post ?

Ppp
Do you mean them ones that restrict the flow by closing of the tube on a ratchet
And are made of plastic and pretty, cheap trying to find pic

Edit: This is what i was thinking about
tube fittings

bjay

Hey Bjay,
Yeah that's the type of thing I was thinking. The flow control ones second from the bottom look like they'd do the job nicely. Thanks for the link.

The other style I could find were these link. Would be great if there was a manual style that had a handle similar to the usual ball style to turn it on or off. The appeal is also the ability to remove the tube from the valve for cleaning and the like.

Cheers

I picked up one of the ones at the bottom of that page from g/grape it is made from plastic and cost about 3 bucks and as you squeeze it ratchets up and squashes the tube thus reducing flow it works well, but was the wrong size for my tube so i dont use it,I need to get the next size up 16m/m i think for my mash tun to kettle tube
The best thing is no contact with wort so less chance of infection like you mentioned

bjay

I have a three vessel system and I don't have a valve on my mash tun happy with what I have. I use a basic food bag clip to pinch the vinal tube I have. I (at this stage) like to keep it basic. One valve on the kettle and an urn as a HLT minimal chance of infection. On another note the best addition I have done to my rig is to put a SS scrubbie under my false bottom clear runoff in about 2 L.

Shawn :D

Latest posts

Back