Pin lock v ball lock for kegs revisited 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I was looking kegging some kegs (noob on this front) have pin lock another ball lock

I was researching pin lock v ball lock.... There are a few posts but going back to 2011....(most recommended ball lock or use ball lock)

But I wonder if it has changed? Websites seem to selling equal amounts of both systems (previous articles mention 90% ball lock)

I assume they both do the same job...

So I was wondering if buying either which is the best for available spare parts or couplers or adapting to other systems? etc etc.

Ie with pin lock I might have to buy a lot of extra converters if I want to use with a newer Pluto gun? for example...

Thanks

The only practical difference is the obvious one - one uses pin lock connectors and the other ball lock. Ball locks also tend to be skinnier and taller, have manual pressure relief valves in the lid, and have the posts on either side of the top (i.e. at 3 and 9 o'clock). Pin locks tend to be wider and shorter, have automatic pressure relief valves only - to manually release pressure you have to depress the pin on the, and the posts much closer together at the top (more like 1:30 and 10:30 on a clock). It currently seems easier to get used pin locks than used ball locks, but every so often a wodge of ball locks pop up. Also, a lot of 2nd hand ball locks seem to be converted pin locks.

As the connector connects to the gas or tap via a tube, it should be reasonably irrelevant which you use. The three caveats are that I have yet to see a pin lock carbonation cap or a brand new pin lock keg for sale (if that's of interest to you), nor have I seen replacement posts for pin locks. Also, it does still tend to be true that taps etc. sold as a complete solution are for ball locks, but there shouldn't be anything to stop you buying the bits separately.

Both do the same job, but you're likely to find it a pain having 2 systems. I have pin locks and ball locks, but all of the former have now been converted to ball locks for that very reason (plus I found the pin locks leaked from the posts/connector)

I have only pin lock kegs & have never had any issues with them, there's not much difference you can't go wrong with either one and parts seem to be available for both. Not sure about the availability of pin lock posts though? surely someone would sell them (google it), i've never needed them in the six years i've had them and they were purchased 2nd hand not reconditioned. I can't see why you would need to replace them unless they were damaged from miss use.

Probably the only reason ball lock posts are readily available is because most people want to convert their newly purchased pin lock kegs to their old ball lock setup because as Blind Dog said having both types would be a pain…but both type of posts are very robust & you are fitting a plastic connector to them and the valves inside seat on soft seals, they'll never wear out in million years.

I suppose it all depends on what you can get your hands on and for how much. Pin locks seem to be less popular, but either way you won't look back with regret, they are both great.

ball lock kegs being taller but skinnier are easier to fit more of in some fridges, mine wouldnt fit 3x pin lock kegs but does 3x ball locks

thats about the only real thing to be aware of, the way of connecting in/out lines shouldnt really matter and you can swap posts off anyway

I have all ball locks and am happy with them.

If I were in a situation where I had to use both I would use John Guest fittings to adapt either system to my kegorator and other equipment.
It would not be hard to even make up adapters.

Unfortunately this does not solve the problem of the lack of a manual PRV on most pin locks.

I have a mixture of both & i would recommend going just ball locks mate. I only use my pinlocks for aging now. Ball locks may be slightly extra - but worth it.

In addition to the benefits of 3 ball lock kegs fitting into a standard kegerator, relief valves, etc. If you ever go to a mates place or a brew swap & need to borrow any gear / fittings, you'll only find ball lock.

i have had my pin locks for 4 years.only issue i have ever had was a poppet not sealing.best part about pin lock is you cannot put connects on the wrong post..i got mine from Mybrewshop on Ebay.

I just went through this decision myself. My old system back in the days of yore was ball lock, and I still have some fittings.

As I'm building a keezer I went with pin locks which have been converted to ball locks with a manual pressure relief fitted. This gives the shortest height for my collar.

The manual pressure relief is good for purging the headspace.

These converted kegs are on ebay at $80 delivered atm, waiting on mine to be delivered.

As said before they are slightly different dimensions which is probably really the deciding factor for most people. Pin lock is shorter and fatter.

Back