Pimp My TapKing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only seen no2 in the bulbs and it's not something you want to add

codyg said:
Hey guys,

New to brewing and new to this forum but I wanted to check that you guys are filling these tap kings straight from the fermentation bucket and then just carbonating using this setup? I had someone tell me I would need to carbonate it first in bottles or a keg but I thought that kind of defeated the purpose of this ...

Thanks for your help :)
I've been filling these direct from the fermenter for a while now.
I just add 8 carb drops to each one and let it carb naturally.

These things are perfect. I get 1 corney keg and 1 TK keg from each batch.
I do a lot of camping so taking a couple of these does the trick for a weekend.

sunnybrew said:
Right here bud http://tapkinghacked.info will get you to the YouTube Channel with full video tutorial... still uploading the final few videos very slowly so by tomorrow or the next you will be right to replicate my version by following all the videos... Hope you enjoy :-D

Nice website design

sunnybrew - I was watching your videos - did you get the second hack working properly? the one that allows both normal (bought) bottles and homebrew ones?

Also - I've got a few bottles that when squeezed seem to be letting air out - we tried filling two of them and they are (unsurprisingly) leaking beer. Any ideas what causes this? I'm not clear on where it is leaking from, but seems to be from the little valve thingys.

Mate, check there is a white rubber seal inside the lid. They do come off sometimes.

Did you disassemble the lid? Maybe you didn't reassemble with all the springs?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

pretty sure they have all the springs and they definitely have the silicone o ring - I'll dismantle and re-assemble the ones that we haven't filled yet though and see if it makes a difference. Are you guys re-assembling them still wet with sanitiser?

sunnybrew - thank you for the excellent instructional videos, I have been inspired to grab a second-hand dispenser and have a go at this myself - echoing lael I am most interested in learning exactly how to mod to be switchable between home- and store-brews... eagerly awaiting the rest of your series! :)

Website created by sunnybrew is worth a look.
More streamlined than my first go as the reg is bolted to top rather than hanging from top.
Inox food grease is also good tip.
Best bit is using a barb threaded for body of reg instead of searching for a barb threaded for adapter piece.
Videos also make it heaps easier than pics.
Keen to see hack 2.

I bought a second setup for store bought beer but keen to see video of hack 2. Brewing has taken a back seat for me lately as I've been working out how to fit 4 people into our unit built for 2. (My wife is having twins in May!)

mrTbeer said:
Website created by sunnybrew is worth a look.
More streamlined than my first go as the reg is bolted to top rather than hanging from top.
Inox food grease is also good tip.
Best bit is using a barb threaded for body of reg instead of searching for a barb threaded for adapter piece.
Videos also make it heaps easier than pics.
Keen to see hack 2.

I bought a second setup for store bought beer but keen to see video of hack 2. Brewing has taken a back seat for me lately as I've been working out how to fit 4 people into our unit built for 2. (My wife is having twins in May!)
Congratulations!!!! ... you should get a wiggle on and put down a half dozen or so brews now to tide you over with twins you going to be busy! and with twins you're going to need a drink! I know ...I'm a twin :beer:

I'm having issues with my external mini reg setup leaking cO2... I was pretty sure I've clamped the hoses tightly. Any other places to check for leaks?

Check the white o-ring is seated correctly inside the lid. Also the little black o-ring on the yellow part that sits on top of the co2 cylinder can come loose, but you may have already bypassed that bit.

This may not be every ones cup of tea but try typing into your preferred search engine "Sodastream and slave labour" or "Sodastream and ethics"
Just my 2 bobs worth.

Anyone have luck finding a white o-ring replacement? Busted a couple the other day over tightening a bottle

I followed sunnybrew's directions with good results. I got the regulator fitting from Super Cheap Auto as suggested. Also, it would be good to specify the line size that slides over the 3mm line from Bunning's which you have already fitted over the Tap King's white CO2 injector piece.

This was quite important and maybe I had too many homebrews bc I didn't see that explained anywhere in detail (or didn't look hard enough). Also I should point out that the line that comes with the Tap King will not work. You must get 3mm from Bunning's, slide that over the Tap King's tiny fitting, then slide the beer line over that. The beer line, I think was 5mm... I got it from Grain and Grape here in Melbourne (I bought 3 different pieces of line there hoping one would fit). It's quite rigid actually. I got the grease from there too. 'Most likely all HB stores would have this I imagine. Now I just have to wait for an APA to finish fermenting in the TK bottle.

Also DM's has a good deal right now where you buy a twin pack of bottles and you get a free Tap King dispenser unit. I was lucky and got a twin pack of XXXX for $18 on clearance. They included the tap for free and a set of glasses. I don't think they are promoting this. Hopefully they aren't doing it bc sales are slow... I'd hate to see this thing discontinued, the beer that comes out is awesome!!! I can't wait until the HB is done and reckon I'll also buy LION beer for it too on occasion! It's really nice being able to just have a small glass here and there.

I was also thinking that if you made up 3.2 litres of something like SaniClean you could just run it through each bottle when finished. This would clean all internals and alleviate the need to take everything apart. With the on/off micro reg that sunnybrew uses, this could be accomplished relatively easily without wasted that much CO2. Save the SaniClean and repeat as needed.

Just wondering if anyone has used regular non-food grade cartridges with their hacked tapking? I can pick some up cheap from a bike shop, but don't want to use them if it tastes shit.
If not, what's the cheapest place to buy food grade 16g or 12g bulbs.

Wilko76 said:
Just wondering if anyone has used regular non-food grade cartridges with their hacked tapking? I can pick some up cheap from a bike shop, but don't want to use them if it tastes shit.
If not, what's the cheapest place to buy food grade 16g or 12g bulbs.
i use bike ones, i think i got em from pushys on ebay. i checked with them if they had any lubricants etc in the bulbs they said straight up co2. i haven't noticed a taste change or any thing in my line (mine runs outside the tap king).

Cool, thanks for that. Might give them a try.
How many bottles does one 16g bulb dispense. I've read every thread and can't find an answer.

I haven't kept close track of how many TK kegs per bulb but I think between 2 and 3. I'll try and keep a better tally when I change the next bulb

sunnybrew said:
Gday All, I will be posting a blow by blow photo and guide to building this from info here in this thread and a few mods... Bloody easy and neat if you have a drill and a few bits

20140204_221209_zpsa76ee8a1.jpg

SIDE

20140204_221154_zpsd90c3cad.jpg

FRONT
mrTbeer!! This little gem (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281162248363?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) which I see you found after project 1, 2.....? Is awesome... Best direction from anywhere on the net.. You Rock! would have been lost trying the soda stream setup :p Thanks for breaking the ground and letting me follow...

All it has apart from the tap king standard head bits and the Regulator as shown by mrTbeer is;

1 x threaded barb from pirtek $2.60
1 x 3cm beer line $:)
1 x 1cm long 3mm vinyl hose $:)

As I said full directions and photos soon :-D But easy as!

CHEERS!!! :-D

(Lesson of the Day! Dont sort photos in Photobucket after you have shared links....lol :-D)
I just done this exact conversion on a keg king I got as a present.
It works so good im very impressed. I can fill it from the fermenter and force carb in 10 mins. Prob easier to fill the bottles from the keg to save bulbs though. Its a great way to test dry hop combinations I make a little bag out of some biab fabric, fill it with a few hop pellets then tie it with a cable tie. I found presoaking in beer helped get rid of the sediment before popping it in the keg king bottle. Im amazed how sturdy and usable this setup actually is.

Latest posts

Back