Pimp My TapKing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on rigging mine up with the welding bottle because I already have a reg for one (just need a gauge). With force carbing do I just look up the charts for the level of carb I want and apply that pressure with the reg? Ive been working on 3 volumes of co2 for my wheat beer looking at a chart before me @ 35 deg F I would need 15 psi gas to get 3 volumes of co2 in there. Does this sound right ?

I have been following this topic with much interest and have seen the various solutions for modifying a TK for home brew use. I purchased mine the other day due to the marketing. "Fits into fridge" PIGS ARSE it does! I had to move two shelves and even then does not fit into my fridge depth wise as well! Oh well, is helping me make my case to the "Minister of Love and War" for a beer fridge! After all, I just built her a house with no man cave!

Any ways, back on topic, I am happy to report that I have been successful in getting the TK to work with 8g unthreaded soda charges! Want these to work as I can source from local hospitality store and they do not stock the 12's.

I tried inserting the 8g straight into machine, with same result as others: leaking gas in one hit as soon as canister is pierced.

I then hunted in the shed for O rings etc and best I could come up with was an O ring off a roofing screw. Tried to remove O ring from yellow coupler and insert new O ring but is too big to fit inside the housing. Refitted original O ring and then slid the O ring (tight fit) around neck of cartridge. Next had to determine the hight of the canister as 12g are longer, hence the variety of nuts and washers.

Fit all back together and test run. No gas leak and could feel the charge pressurising the bottle. Dispensed approximately 3.1l of soapy water with a little charge left without missing a beat!

I think that the screws on top of the bottle are important as they seal the top of the bottle and stop contents from leaking. I will investigate more, was a little too happy from 8g results!

EDIT: Sorry guys, posted in wrong thread, reposted in the "lion introduces tk" thread as well.

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

Hugh Jarse said:
"Fits into fridge" PIGS ARSE it does!

I think that the screws on top of the bottle are important as they seal the top of the bottle and stop contents from leaking.
I hear you on the fridge front. You need to have a family sized fridge to fit one in easily.

Interested to see how you go without the screws in if you're keen to do a test run.
I've been playing around with the lid plenty and could see how they might be needed to seal between the white plastic part and the ridges on the clear plastic part. Apart from pushing those two plates together tightly ( which happens when you screw the lid onto a bottle), I can't see any other need for them.

I guess I better get off my arse and get some cartridges to test the theory myself.

Good to hear I can just grab some 8g cartridges from a hospitality store locally.
Even though I have several thousand tekscrew washers available in the man cave, there is a really good o ring supply place in Artarmon. If I find the right type of seal I'll buy a dozen or so and pass on the correct sizing info ( along with a few freebies for others).

Just tried without screws and still leaked. I screwed the lid on pretty tight but still leaked. Replaced the screws and did not leak any more. I see the reasoning behind the theory of no screws but without them it leaks on my bottle (may be different for other bottles).

I am just using what is available in my shed with the O ring. It seals the system from the outside so may be unstable, still yet to test on system when cold and at pressure for a period of time. Will grab another bulb and try over the next couple of days.
IMG_0330.jpg

Thanks for testing that out HJ.

I've missed out on the local hospitality store for the day which sucks.
What ever happened to being able to buy them from any old supermarket? We used to buy them all the time with sparklers and foil to make bangers. Hmm, maybe that's why.

Anywho, I get the feeling that your washer setup is putting upwards pressure on the lid and causing it to leak without the screws opposing it. Can't wait to get some bulbs to test mine out.

Cheers.

I hadn't thought of the washers pushing up causing the leak. Cheers. Have to replace those screws anyways, hacking them to pieces atm.

I have one under pressure now (water) so will see how the pressure holds over next few days and report back. I have a feeling that it will lose pressure though. Wait and See.

As suspected, loosing pressure. Could hear the bottle topping up frequently. Emptied contents and barely emptied half after 4 hours or so. Will go and buy a proper O ring tomorrow and see how that sits over the O ring from the roofing screw. I think the roofing screw O ring is too rigid. Bit by bit we will succeed.

I did a test run with no screws yesterday with my external mini reg setup and it leaked :(. So to save having to unscrew lids every time to clean it I used a syringe with a little bit of the pick up line on the end and used a small screw driver to depress the valve wile flushing it out with sanitizer. Seems to work sweet :) is also much easier if you put the screw driver if the vice so you don't have to hold it.

I have searched high and low for the MFL fitting, the eBay one listed above is not the right thread. Has anyone found where to get these (for a reasonable price)?

I'm told 1/8" BSP male to 6mm tail also works. Not tested yet but...
Try: air compressors, total tools, bearing shop, autobarn

BenH said:
I have searched high and low for the MFL fitting, the eBay one listed above is not the right thread. Has anyone found where to get these (for a reasonable price)?
Yeah, I'm with you. Can't find them anywhere. Well, locally. Will have order online I guess...

I'm considering just running one of these mini regs

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-STAINLESS-STEEL-MINI-CO2-GAS-REGULATOR-SINGLE-GAUGE-/261269740367?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item3cd4e3db4f

With a soda stream bottle and an adapter

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Home-Brew-Soda-Stream-Adapter-Beer-Fridge-CO2-Regulator-Aquarium-Carbon-Dioxide-/290963072433

That should do the trick yeah? Plus, I can use both of those when I get a keg system set up one of these days.... (soda stream connector for emergencies when my main gas bottle runs out).

I should point out that this option is slightly more financially viable for me because I have a full 400g soda stream co2 bottle sitting around doing nothing.

Cheers

I'm considering just running one of these mini regs

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-STAINLESS-STEEL-MINI-CO2-GAS-REGULATOR-SINGLE-GAUGE-/261269740367?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item3cd4e3db4f

With a soda stream bottle and an adapter

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Home-Brew-Soda-Stream-Adapter-Beer-Fridge-CO2-Regulator-Aquarium-Carbon-Dioxide-/290963072433

That should do the trick yeah? Plus, I can use both of those when I get a keg system set up one of these days.... (soda stream connector for emergencies when my main gas bottle runs out).

I should point out that this option is slightly more financially viable for me because I have a full 400g soda stream co2 bottle sitting around doing nothing.

Cheers
I'd be very careful with a mini reg like that. I notice there is no real standards info on many of the cheap ebay options.
Not that I think it's very cheap! Another $10 should get you a Keg King jobby if you shop around.

The adapter may work, but I'd be checking to see if it has an adjustable pin depressor. That ad doesn't say much and doesn't even get the bottle weights right. Not for the bottles I have at least.

Beerisyummy said:
I'd be very careful with a mini reg like that. I notice there is no real standards info on many of the cheap ebay options.
Not that I think it's very cheap! Another $10 should get you a Keg King jobby if you shop around.

The adapter may work, but I'd be checking to see if it has an adjustable pin depressor. That ad doesn't say much and doesn't even get the bottle weights right. Not for the bottles I have at least.
Hiya Ross,

Thank you for that info! Here is another link to that reg which is from the same person, but its their actual storefront. Does the fact that its sold in an actual store make it likely to be ok or is it hit and miss? My interest in that reg was mainly for the compact size.

http://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/co2-gas-bottles-regulaters-accessories/product/239-stainless-steel-mini-reg

Also, does his soda stream attachment sound any better?

http://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/co2-gas-bottles-regulaters-accessories/product/494-co2-soda-stream-adaptor-with-washers?search=soda%20stream

What are you running at the moment? Mini reg with 16g CO2?

Thanks again.

Hiya Ross,

Thank you for that info! Here is another link to that reg which is from the same person, but its their actual storefront. Does the fact that its sold in an actual store make it likely to be ok or is it hit and miss? My interest in that reg was mainly for the compact size.

http://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/co2-gas-bottles-regulaters-accessories/product/239-stainless-steel-mini-reg

Also, does his soda stream attachment sound any better?

http://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/co2-gas-bottles-regulaters-accessories/product/494-co2-soda-stream-adaptor-with-washers?search=soda%20stream

What are you running at the moment? Mini reg with 16g CO2?

Thanks again.
At the moment I'm drinking a $40 case of Becks while I wait for my first keg to mature. I've been doing the 8g cartridges in the TK so far and after 3 bottles I'm pretty happy with that approach for now.

I do see the advantage of having an external regulator hooked up to a larger bottle. Although, a soda stream bottle is getting pretty big.

Cheeky Peaks soda stream adapters sound like the older type I've read about that have just used an extra washer to adjust the pin. Not sure on the benefits of using Neoprene over Nylon.

You should ask the store owner about the mini regulator. There's a fair bit of pressure involved when you hook up a CO2 bottle. I'd prefer to know the 5000 odd kPa was safely controlled.

Beerisyummy said:
I've been doing the 8g cartridges in the TK so far and after 3 bottles I'm pretty happy with that approach for now.
Thanks mate.

Are you using an external reg with the 8g or just putting them in the bottles with the spacers as i've read others doing on here?

Cheers.

Ah yes, sorry, I did see that one :) I've been trying to keep track of the latest and greatest in each TK thread but I'm having trouble keeping up!

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back