Pimp My TapKing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a further thought.......

Some gas/fuel fittings are tappered so beware. They are tappered for a reason so as to tighten to prevent leaks

Ducatiboy stu said:
Just a further thought.......

Some gas/fuel fittings are tappered so beware. They are tappered for a reason so as to tighten to prevent leaks
Thread sealant usually sorts them out. With LPG you have to make sure though and test because it could mean more than a lost bottle of gas.

mash head said:
This link is for the disposable gas cylinders.
http://repcoequipment.businesscatalyst.com/welding/disposable-gas-cylinders
I can weld fittings together and wouldn't charge FA but postage. I understand 3/8 unf but the 30 thread I have no idea. I guess that it would be the fitting for the end of a soda stream gas bottle. When silver soldering fittings its easy to close the hole over if the orifice is small so keep that in mind and it can always be re drilled.
Type 30 thread is the standard australion co2/n2 regulator. It's 0.860” WHIT RH, 14 T.P.I. Have a look here:
http://www.gascon.com.au/content/products/pdf/Valve_Summary_AS2473.3.pdf. The sodastream bottles use CGA 320, but you need a valve depressor in the adapter to get the co2 out. The reason we were talking about the type 30 thread, is there are plenty of ebay adapters that include the depressor, and home-brewers are likely to have this already.

Sodastream bottles are good because they're cheap (I think I paid $40 dollars for two 400g cylinders) and refillable. You can pay around ~15 dollars at a kmart/bigw ect to swap over, or you can take the valve off with a shifter, fill it with dry ice and pop it back on. Obviously you want to make sure the correct weight of CO2 goes in. Last time I did it I paid $20 dollars to fill 3 cylinders and had tons of dry ice left.

So do you think a novice could silver solder two fittings together? I've become slightly more confident now that I've noticed the sodastream has a plastic thread on the high pressure side anyway. The pressure of the sodastream and 16g bottles is around 1100 psi.

If you know how to use an oxy, you could do it. The silver solder to use is not the plumbing type(I think they are called brownie sticks) you want the proper ones that contain a% of real silver @ a couple of bucks per stick. Practice first on some fittings you don't need. You also need the proper flux paste to help it run. Once hot enough the solder will run right around the fitting filling all the gaps. I usually bed the fittings together by drilling into the larger one so that the smaller part sits neatly into the hole to ensure maximum surface area of weld contact.
Remove any Orings or plastic seals first and this wont work on ally.

Whitworth thread is almost the same as unc the pitch is 55deg instead of 60. 0.86 though the closest measurement I get to that in inches is 7/8 which is 0.875. So do you want it from the gas bottle thread or the soda stream thread to 3/8 unf.

Looking back it would be easier to adapt the gas bottle thread because I am guessing the soda stream adapter would have seals in it for the depresser.

mash head said:
If you know how to use an oxy, you could do it. The silver solder to use is not the plumbing type(I think they are called brownie sticks) you want the proper ones that contain a% of real silver @ a couple of bucks per stick. Practice first on some fittings you don't need. You also need the proper flux paste to help it run. Once hot enough the solder will run right around the fitting filling all the gaps. I usually bed the fittings together by drilling into the larger one so that the smaller part sits neatly into the hole to ensure maximum surface area of weld contact.
Remove any Orings or plastic seals first and this wont work on ally.
I've never used an oxy, but I was planning on getting a propane/map torch for a few other things. Will they get hot enough?

Is this the right stick?
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_consolidated-alloys-silver-brazing-alloy-solder_P5060223.aspx?search=silver+solder&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

I imagine it would pay to stick to just brass fittings.

mash head said:
Looking back it would be easier to adapt the gas bottle thread because I am guessing the soda stream adapter would have seals in it for the depresser.
I thought that might be the case. Hell it won't matter though, because even if I have to buy the extra sodastream to type 30 adapter, it means I can use the bottles with standard regs if I upgrade later on.

MAP will be enough. If using brass only then hard solder will do.

It looks right. I would have to check the specs on the pack I have in the shed.

Stupid country towns!! I went to town today thinking I am gonna buy one of these tap dealies Ive got about 110lts of beer in fermenters atm the crickets on and I am sure I can drain a bottle of what ever then refil with my own. But NO we don't sell them. Looks like I am gonna have to clean some bottles and buy some beer.

mash head said:
Stupid country towns!! I went to town today thinking I am gonna buy one of these tap dealies Ive got about 110lts of beer in fermenters atm the crickets on and I am sure I can drain a bottle of what ever then refil with my own. But NO we don't sell them. Looks like I am gonna have to clean some bottles and buy some beer.
Been to any woolworths/BWS stores?

Foodland is the biggest shop we got. When I go to Adelaide soon I will look into it but really it keg time.

Heres an idea for you guys. If you had some 3/8 unf threaded tube you could drill and tap out the other fitting and just screw the tube into it with some thread sealant to ensure no leaks. Would be easy and means no welding required.

So I ordered one of those eBay regulators but I can't find where to by the MFL fitting shown in the picture does anyone have a link

eBay Item 161055870475
1/4"x 6mm Stainless steel 304 Male thread Pipe fitting barb Hose Tail Connector
It's from Shanghai so not sure of delivery times, if you find 1 locally let me know.

so I'm expecting my mini reg to arrive any day now and my tapking is all moded as per mrtbeers pics and my 16g bulbs have arrived, just wondering how this setup has worked for others. does it give a more consistent pour than the standard tap king? and what is the best presure to start with? should you prime less than usual?

Guys I am in the Sutherland area anyone want to earn a lazy few $ if I can stop by with my head unit and a bottle so you can show me how to rig it so I can use refills? If so PM me.

Back