Pimp My TapKing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrTbeer

Reaction score
Here are the components.
http://i.imgur.com/TlVCopo.jpg

And here is the mockup.
http://i.imgur.com/JlKAWbX.jpg

I've been following the forum on tap king and got frustrated trying to work with tiny bulbs, triangular screws, little springs and weak plastics. With the exception of 1x90deg brass bend and some tubing/fittings, I have everything I need.
A man needs a shed if only for a beer fridge, I've got neither so it's time to get inventive.
Not a fan of XXXX gold but its the cheape$t way to get a few bottles together. I'll fill with my own Castlemaine Carbine Stout clone soon enough.

Looks like a interesting project. Just enlisted one of the Super Dry drinkers in the office to give me his empty kegs. So I've got a reason to buy a TapKing head. I'd rather recycle the bottles then buy them with less then stella beer in them :D
Will follow your progress with interest!

$(KGrHqNHJBUFHJ+GngeDBR8eMhBjtQ~~60_57.jpg
Went a slightly different route, see post in Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers
Still uses external gas but mini regulator and 16g bulb fits in the fridge taking up less room than soda stream gas bottle.
Using those little triangular screws was difficult with my 'sexy fingers' (**** everything they touch).

Looks great, I was thinking of doing a similar thing myself. What regulator is that you have on the soda streamer bottle? It looks as though you've got two couplers to get to the soda stream thread. Any ebay links?

I'm eager to hook up mine as with dry ice refills co2 becomes CHEAP! Perhaps a system that can use both styles would be best.

Pic shows Leland regulator.
I got it from USA a few years back but have since seen listed by craftbrewer.
http://morebeer.com/products/mini-co2-regulator-kit.html
Yeah 2 brass couplers.
1. sodastream -> type 30 (std. aussie co2), http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-SOLID-BRASS-SODA-STREAM-ADAPTOR-CO2-SODA-STREAM-BOTTLE-KEG-KIT-/251294856756?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item3a82573634
2. type 30 -> weird 14mm thread as used on 74g bulb, ~$35 welded by AHB member

Current project uses this which is much cheaper.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Premium-Regulated-C02-Charger-Home-Brew-/281150299353?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item4175dd1cd9

If only there was a way to get down from the sodastream to the 16g thread, because then that setup would be perfect.

Short of a custom made adapter, I can't seem to find a way to do it though.

So I've contacted gascon to see if they can do up a connector for the 16g bulb male to type 30 female. We'll see if they can do it. I plan to get a bit more of that 6mm OD tube and use a t piece, so both the original reg and the new one work.

Where did you get the fitting to go from MFL male (low side of reg) to hose? I've had a trawl on ebay but I can't see anything.

Someone with a lathe could make 1, or you could weld 2 fitings together to make 1

This is the eBay item I found for low side of reg.
Item 161055870475
1/4"x 6mm Stainless steel 304 Male thread Pipe fitting barb Hose Tail Connector

Making something is doable but it's gonna carry high pressure gas so you'll need professional welds.
The adapter in my second photo is 2 fittings welded together. Lathe is doable too.

I could weld it but am a bit far away to help. What about the disposable welding bottles like they do the oxygen in can you get them with co2 in.

Sounds good mash head. Kangaroo Island, nice haven't been there yet.
Would it be worth it if it was a job lot of say 6? I'm sure anyone interested would cover postage.
Will look around for welders oxygen bottle not sure what yet.

Here's what I've done in the meantime with 16g bulbs, they're pretty cheap and I had some lying around for my bikes anyway. Still shows MFL fitting ($2.50), 6mm hose (had it?), stainless clip ($1), 4mm hose and plastic (TK $23), mini-regulator ($39)

Not sure how to upload video (limited to 2MB) so here's another still of completed system.

IMG_3745.JPG

IMG_3748.JPG

Looks good mate ,do you know what is the biggest co2 charger is that can be screwed into that regulator ? some thing like a 50 g would be good and still portable

Not sure on thread sizes but finewhip have 25g, 38g.
A 16g bulb looks to be about 9mm from o/s to o/s of thread?
Should get 2-3 bottles out of each 16g??

I'm tipping something like this couldn't be brazed with a propane torch. Mash head, if I sent a 3/8"-24UNF male threaded piece and a sodastream adapter, how much would you charge to join the two and send it back? I'll pay postage of course. Or would it be easier to go from type 30 to 3/8"-24UNF.

Still no word from gascon, but I'll give them a buzz tomorrow.

I wish I had a lathe!

Reading with interest. I have found that if you take your bits and pieces to a place like Bearing Services, they will go out of their way to send you out the door with a nice shiny working dodad that is just what you wanted. They are really helpful, even steering you to the opposition if they can't help.

wavemaker said:
Reading with interest. I have found that if you take your bits and pieces to a place like Bearing Services, they will go out of their way to send you out the door with a nice shiny working dodad that is just what you wanted. They are really helpful, even steering you to the opposition if they can't help.
I've just shot them an email, let's see what happens!

+1 for bearing/eng/industrial/hydraulic places.

Good shops will have thread gauges which will take out all the fun of guessing. Your bunnings/mitre 10 etc shops will be as helpfull as a seagull at a fish n chip shop.

At worst you can braze/weld fittings. If you find a machine shop that will custom make a fitting then you have struck gold

This link is for the disposable gas cylinders.
http://repcoequipment.businesscatalyst.com/welding/disposable-gas-cylinders
I can weld fittings together and wouldn't charge FA but postage. I understand 3/8 unf but the 30 thread I have no idea. I guess that it would be the fitting for the end of a soda stream gas bottle. When silver soldering fittings its easy to close the hole over if the orifice is small so keep that in mind and it can always be re drilled.
I was suprised to note pure co2 in the disposable cylinders, I thought maybe you would be limited to an argon mix. I have a regulator for these gas bottles I could loan out or sell for testing. The reg is very crude just a spring loaded diaphragm but with the addition of a gauge you could use it to achieve what you want. If someone does want some thing welded we could work out a deal. I would like a PET carbonator. Wink

PS my lathe sucks and my skills on it aren't much better so I wont be making any fittings. It is lucky to make things round but some times that all you need to do and when you are in the bush its handy.

Also I bought my original disposable bottle from the local hardware shop so you don't need to buy them from Rip Every Poor C*** Off. I just googled the cyl and that's what I got. But they are welding cylinders wether that makes a diff.

Back