Pilsner Urquell Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoftheharpies

Reaction score
I made this one in a 200L batch with my brew club. I had to convert it to metric but it should be the same. Ive included an all-grain and extract:

All-Grain
4.5kg Moravian barley or 3.5kg Extra Light Liquid Extract
200g Carapils
200g 20L Crystal

Hops
25g Northern Brewer - First wort
18g Saaz - First Wort
18g Saaz - 40min
18g Saaz - 20min

Quadruple infusion
40C (20min), 50 (30min), 60 (45min), 70C (45min)
Used boiling liquor (brewing water) to step up and didnt mash out. Sparge until OG about 1020.
-------------------------

Extract
3.5kg Extra Light Liquid Extract
200g Carapils
200g 20L Crystal

Hops
25g Northern Brewer - First wort
18g Saaz - First Wort
18g Saaz - 40min
18g Saaz - 20min

Steep specialty grains in 7L water at 70C for 1 hours. Add steep water to boil kettle and add additional boil water and add first wort hops. Boil 60 min, dont add extract until 30min into boil.

---------

Any questions just let me know. I have a ton of other clones too...not many Australian brews though.

Dear koth,

In your extract version, when you say to first wort the Northern brewer and Saaz, do you mean they go in with the steeped specialty grains for a hour at 70C? OTherwise it seems they just go into the boil - is that first wort hopping?

(Your posts are very helpful... thanks.

Ill clear this up. So first wort hopping is putting your hops in just after you sparge your grain. This means that hops will be in the wort before it even begins to boil.

So for extract, its the same thing. The steep is your guys mash so when you add the steep water to your kettle you add the hops with it. If you start your boil kettle while your steep is going, throw the first wort hops in with it.

Mash hopping, another technique, is when you put the hops in the the mash (steep) and they dont go over to the boil kettle.

First wort hopping is great and not many people know about it. MANY studies have been done on it and you will find that you get a much better flavor and aroma profile when you first wort hop. In addition the bitterness will be much more smooth.

PLEASE DONT LEAVE US KINGOFTHEHARPIES ITS GREAT TO HAVE YOU HERE

movarian barley???? what is that

Moravia was the old name for the region around Plzen which is now in the Czech Republic. The barley that comes from that region (moravian malt) was notorious for being undermodified. With the undermodified malt and the near distilled water it was necessary to do a triple decoction mash which if anyone has done knows it takes the better part of 9 hours to do!!!

Back