Pilsner Urquell Brewing Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how my pallet reads Urquell, worty.
Nev

My no-decoct Boh Pils uses 10% Melanoidin and 4% Carabohemian to get enough sweetness. Even with triple decoctions I can't get that residual sweetness even when I'm well past PU's EBC.

I think the "100% Hanka grainbill" spouted on the internest is codswallop.

I currently have my first lager in fermenter at 10 degrees, pilsner malt, czech saaz hops and Wyeast 2001. Current gravity is 14, with the predicted at 10-12. I have read alot about diacetyl rests. I had a taste and smell, smells like beer and taste has a hint of something which I assume to be diacetyl (I would not describe it as butterscotch though). It is not really unpleasant but I don't think I could drink a whole glass if that taste stayed. I have read both that a D rest is needed and also sometimes not needed if diacetyl is not really noticable.
As it is close to reaching final gravity, I would love opinions on whether I should increase temp or leave be.

I currently have my first lager in fermenter at 10 degrees, pilsner malt, czech saaz hops and Wyeast 2001. Current gravity is 14, with the predicted at 10-12. I have read alot about diacetyl rests. I had a taste and smell, smells like beer and taste has a hint of something which I assume to be diacetyl (I would not describe it as butterscotch though). It is not really unpleasant but I don't think I could drink a whole glass if that taste stayed. I have read both that a D rest is needed and also sometimes not needed if diacetyl is not really noticable.
As it is close to reaching final gravity, I would love opinions on whether I should increase temp or leave be.

yep. increase it and leave it for a few days, if you want to taste diacytel get a grand ridge brewers pilsner,

Back