Pilsner Turns Into An Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
howdy guys,well i put down an esb pilsner a few days ago.i used 34/70 saflager yeast but after 3 days there was not a hint of any action,tried bringing temp up to around 20 to see if this would kick it in and tried stirring up off the bottom too,"nothing".not even a sign of any crausen,i took sg again and this confirmed that it had not even budged.so i went back to hbs and told him and after all the suggestions what to do i said ive tried all that,any way he didnt have a spare lager yeast and as i am out past gawler and it was getting late i didnt have time to go in to adelaide just to get another lager yeast,so he ends up giving me a safale s04 ale yeast,now this has kicked off and is away nicely but what i would like to know has any one had this happen or used an ale yeast in the esb pilsners and what did it come out like
cheers
fergi

Did you rehydrate the yeast?It usually indicates viability.

If you keep the s04 at 16c or thereabouts it will provide a cleaner flavour,don,t go above 20 or you will get banana.

I guess you will just have a very pale euro ale :p

I've done the ESB 3kg ksit with safale. Keep the temps down as low as possible - like 16C fot hat yeast. I found the safale produced lots of esters that stood out like dogs balls in a pilsner.

thanks brauluver,no i didnt rehydrate this time but i did last time,it worked fine then,this time i just put the yeast in dry,dissapointed though as i really wanted to try the pilner done with lager yeast
cheers
fergi

Back