Pilsner Steady At 1025

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
Gent's

I'm a little concerned about a Pilsner I have fermenting now.

OG: 1045
Pitched WLP 800 @ 10 c on 30/05

In the last 2.5 weeks it has dropped to 1025 and seems to have steadied there of the last couple of days. I would have thought it would be closer to 1015 by now.?

Can a larger expert advise roughly what sg they would expect to have after this time in the fermentor?

I was thinking about pitching some more yeast. Good or bad idea?

Cheers
Wax

Wax,

Make sure to spin your hydrometer. Particularly at lower fermentation temps. Samples tend to hold a bit of CO2 and give false readings.

If this isn't the case maybe wait a couple more days and then move the fermenter to a warmer place. This will hopefully finish off fermentation and give the benefit of a diacetyl rest.

Hope this helps.

Warren -

Thanks Warren,

Yeah I am spining the hydrometer. I even warmed a sample up to room temp and took another reading. It's definately true around 1025.

I was just thinking <_< ... I didn't realy airate the wort before i pitched. Do you think that could have something to do with it? Guess it's too late now to worry about that.

I'll leave it a few days and then crank the temp up for a bit. If It still doesn't drop should I consider pitching more yeast?

Hmmmmm.... You said it's been going for about 2.5 weeks?

I'd start bringing it up about 2 degrees a day or so (until you hit about 15-17c) and see what happens. Won't ruin any lager effects at this stage. If you feel you need to maybe even swirl the carboy gently to rouse the yeast a little.

Funny things lagers. <_<

Warren -

Back