Pilsner No Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megs8888

Reaction score
Hi all tried a pilsener on Friday really happy with process but pitched yeast WLP800 2 packs expiry Late July 2020.I should of made a starter! Anyway nothing in airlock sitting at 11c when pitched and controlled, oxygenated today as i forgot initially I used my oxy wand that I finally got to work. OG was 1048 and took sample today still same 3 days in. should i wait now for a few more days and be patient or pitch some dry lager yeast i have ?TIA

Wait another day. I did a pils recently with wlp800 recently and I didn't see any activity for a few days. Turned out fine.

Will do, I also order some Wyeast 2007 pilsner yeast and might try pitching that would that help? otherwise im stuck as to what to do.

After this amount of time you'd expect some action wouldn't you? I think I'd get two 34/70 sachets and either rehydrate or sprinkle. If it goes on much longer without the right stuff happening then the wrong stuff can take over. You wouldn't want to have to re-boil it would you.

reboiling isnt an option is it?
I think reboiling is the only option to save it actually but I'm fussy. Add some water for boil off. You then need more yeast though. The fresh beer needs inoculation with a good amount of your chosen yeast at the beginning or its open for millions of other microbials that will love to indulge on that sweet wort.
Main game for any brew is healthy yeast count especially Lagers that are colder brewed they need a lot more yeast.
Liquid yeasts are great for variety but they do need to be used soon and always need to be built up in a starter etc.
Look into yeast pitch rates.
This is my quick go to. Yeast Pitch Rate and Starter Calculator - Brewer's Friend

Last edited:
Ok Dan ill do that what about the yeast i already pitched? will that just disappear when reboiled? I knew i should have done a starter wont make that mistake again, live and learn! So ive added data to the yeasy pitch calculator at brewers friend, i started with 1 litre starter then step 2 I do a 2 litre starter how do i know when the 1st step starter is complete? and do i add all liquid to 2 litres of fresh dme starter effectivley giving me 3 litres of liquid or just drain the 7-800ml of dme from step 1 and add 2 litre fresh batch as per step 2?

Thankyou for your help.

Last edited:
Ok Dan ill do that what about the yeast i already pitched? will that just disappear when reboiled?
It will become yeast nutrients. That's a bonus considering the rebrew situation.

I knew i should have done a starter wont make that mistake again, live and learn! So I've added data to the yeasty pitch calculator at brewers friend, i started with 1 litre starter then step 2 I do a 2 litre starter how do i know when the 1st step starter is complete? and do i add all liquid to 2 liters of fresh dme starter effectively giving me 3 litres of liquid or just drain the 7-800ml of dme from step 1 and add 2 liter fresh batch as per step 2?

Thankyou for your help.
There are so many questions there. To focus it Its about a realization of proper yeast pitch rates.
Fermentation (mainly for Beer) is best as fast as possible.
$0.02

Be careful about learning the wrong lesson.

I've got the gear to build up starters but I don't bother. I usually just pitch 1 pack into a standard batch size of approx 1.048 wort and it works fine. The pilsner I mentioned making with wlp800 recently used 1/2 a pack in 10L of 1.047 wort set to ferment at 10c. If this turned out fine, I'm not sure how you could have failed with 2 packs of in-date yeast. There must be something you're not telling us.

As i said I pitched 2 packets with expiry of July 2020, the OG is 1049 and its been sitting at 11 degrees and nothing, So what im not telling you im not sure of, My sanitary practice has a good track record so far and everything is sterilised.

Be careful about learning the wrong lesson.

I've got the gear to build up starters but I don't bother. I usually just pitch 1 pack into a standard batch size of approx 1.048 wort and it works fine. The pilsner I mentioned making with wlp800 recently used 1/2 a pack in 10L of 1.047 wort set to ferment at 10c. If this turned out fine, I'm not sure how you could have failed with 2 packs of in-date yeast. There must be something you're not telling us.
You've got me interested. What is the wrong lesson to be learnt. I'd like to add it to the millions I've learnt in my life already. He he he.

As i said I pitched 2 packets with expiry of July 2020, the OG is 1049 and its been sitting at 11 degrees and nothing, So what im not telling you im not sure of, My sanitary practice has a good track record so far and everything is sterilised.
WLP800 has turned out to be sequenced and found to actually be a cerevisiae yeast, so it's an ale not a pastorianus/lager yeast. Probably explains why it's slow at lager temperatures compared with other lager yeast, and has that big top-fermenting style krausen...Jul 31, 2007

Yes thats why I should have made a starter, Oh well ive binned it and will learn and start again :( Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Always keep a supply of dry yeast for any possible no-show of activity. It will probably never happen again. I've never had it occur but I always make starters with liquid strains. Remember, it's meant to be fun.

Back