Pilsner brew time advice needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman

Reaction score
The nice bloke at Country Homebrewer in Orange loaned me the devices for converting my chest freezer into a brew fridge.
I would like to return them asap.
I have 18 days before work takes me away (24 days all up to play with)
I put a Wals in last Friday at 10deg C. I'm thinking of taking it out of the fridge this Friday (7days) and letting it finish on the bench, and putting next batch in, and doing the same.
Is this ok, or maybe leave for 10 days in the fridge? Or increase the brew temp a bit ? Shed temp can get to 30, but not happening much this summer, mostly 25.

Hi Jazzman
Sounds like your plan will work , temps to ferment are good. Only need a day or two to finish at a higer temp. It depends on what yeast is used, as to how long it needs to clean up after ferment.

10 days @ 11 deg c for me under 5 psi pressure, 2 days @16 deg c and then crash chill to 3 deg c for 4 days. Keg and leave for a week to a month to Lager.
I have a upright ( all fridge ) and controller. Very easy to load and remove the fermenter, a one stop shop if you will.

Here are few Pilsner recipes from Meanbrews on youtube.
Matts series of award winning beers are outstanding.
So much info packed into each style.

Hi Two Crows
Thanks for the reply.
Yeast is correct Lagering yeast, which comes with the tin. I brewed my last batch in the shed during winter here. Cold here in Blayney! It came out really well. I know it won't be as clear as it should be, but that doesn't bother me.
I use bottles, lager them in the fridge.

I started with tins and the yeast supplied with them.
I moved on to better yeast strains from the local brew store and the beers got better.
Then tried wort kits and quality yeast. Beers got really good.
I have been all grain brewing for 12 or more years.

If you are bottling, put them somewhere warm around 18 deg C for 4 weeks to carbonate. Then lager in the fridge.

If you want to ferment in hot weather ? Kveik ale yeast up to 40 deg C ferment temps and done in 2-4 days.

I started with tins and the yeast supplied with them.
I moved on to better yeast strains from the local brew store and the beers got better.
Then tried wort kits and quality yeast. Beers got really good.
I have been all grain brewing for 12 or more years.

If you are bottling, put them somewhere warm around 18 deg C for 4 weeks to carbonate. Then lager in the fridge.

If you want to ferment in hot weather ? Kveik ale yeast up to 40 deg C ferment temps and done in 2-4 days.
Thats a great tip. I usually make saison in summer.

https://beerandbrewing.com/how-to-stop-worrying-and-lager/
This is what I do and it works great for me. Then it goes to the kegerator which holds 4 kegs but has only 3 taps. This way the newest beer lagers for another month until it gets connected to the tap. No matter if it is an ale or lager. The taste improves during this month.

Last edited:
Back