Pilsner and acid adjustment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black n Tan said:
The likely explanation is that diacetyl precursor, acetolactic acid, was present in the beer at the time of bottling, which was later oxidised to diacetyl (doesn't require the presence of yeast). So in the case of the bottles, the ideal condition are provided for the conversion of acetolactic acid to diacetyl: oxygen in the head space and the warmer conditions required for bottle conditioning. A forced diacetyl test prior to bottling will ensure the precursor is not present and avoid an unhappy face down the track.
There you go.

So what do you reckon, the phasing is just off a bit? D-rest a touch too late (e.g. have it at 12-14°C in the 20's) and lagering too late as well, i.e. not many yeasties floating around?

Adr_0 said:
There you go.

So what do you reckon, the phasing is just off a bit? D-rest a touch too late (e.g. have it at 12-14°C in the 20's) and lagering too late as well, i.e. not many yeasties floating around?
May be the D-reast was too late or too short, but I suspect an under-pitch of yeast. Personally I D-rest close to FG without issue (within 4 points). However I do an extended d-rest (18-20C for 5 days) for the yeast to clean up diacetyl and other compounds, because I then cold-crash to 3-4C over 24 hours: I figure all the clean up happens quicker at elevated temps so I don't need to keep the yeast to be active during extended lagering (and it works).

Not a pilsner but still on-topic.

My latest XXXX Bitter clone grain bill was like this -

* 3.000 kg JW pils
* 0.270 kg sugaz
* 0.155 kg JW light crystal
* 0.115 kg Weyermann acidulated
* Danish Lager with common 13°C to 18°C ferment schedule
I managed to hit 1.008 in under 6 days which is indicative of the extra effort I put into a good ferment this time.

Fast forward a few weeks: it's now at drinking age. A mate was around last night and tried one of my stouts, then a sample of the lager. His comment: "that's terrible - it tastes like water". Was it offensive I asked? "No it's not that I don't like it, it just doesn't have any flavour". Jackpot. It honestly has all the calling cards of a macro lager.
However...
There is something in the aftertaste to it that's detectable now that it's cleaned up with some lagering. In my opinion it's the acid malt. It is the same flavour slightly present in the recent pils and my shitty first attempt.

I'm convinced that I can taste it at 3.2%.

Next lager attempt I'm going to take the pH hit and use only [reasonable] salt additions with no acidulated malt. Or hopefully use RO water because that's my birthday gift to myself next month.

Latest posts

Back