Pilsner American pale hybrid lager ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Taking advantage of the cooler weather as im a tin shed brewer .
was looking to make a lighter colour summer style beer for spring- xmas
thinking pilsener with a bit of a hop burst.
concrete slab temp is 11-13 degrees so its time to take advantage of this.

84 litres over 3 barrels
saflager w-34/70 two packs.

9kg of xtra light malt
1.7kg amber
1.7kg wheat

!5 litre boil 2 kg of malt
40g columbus 60 min
30g centennial 40 min
50gm citra 40 min
20 gm centennial 20 min
25gm saaz 20 min
20gm centennial 10 min
25gm saaz 10 min
30 gm of rock sea salt. last 5 mins.

flame out
3 blood orages juice of
3 kaffir limes juice and skins halved seeds filtered
3 cinnamon sticks cos i freak out otherwise not enough to taste but its habit . it adds tannins.

og was 1048 . pitched 16degrees expect it to drop to 12.5 by morning.

will rack to secondry in 10 days .
500 gms of honey each barrel
30 gm centennial in one
30 gm citra in number 2
30gm saaz in number 3 .

anyone done something similair ? Im not convinced my Saaz will survive the journey without a beating but its locked in now. In hindsight i should / would have preferred magnum for bittering . But i allready had the columbus.

im sure your bang on the money nev. Still its down now, another 30gm in secondry is niether here nor there.
personally im chalking it up to experience dont collaborate with the girlfriends hop choice whilst dvising a recipe and entertaining a 2 year old .
the 3 barrel system gives me a good cross reference comparison so its up to the yeast and flavour gods now .
im more a pale ale fan so im sure to be pleased .

Is the honey for carbonation or do you expect flavour and or aroma from it?

What's the thinking behind the sea salt? Also is that only 2 packs of yeast for 80 litres?

Honey is for flavour. will be using ironbark this time as yellowbox season is over so my supplier says . I use local honey cold filtered . I dont boil it and add some hot water to thin it down for intergrating.
Now heres the bit people look at me strange about. I used to get terrible hayfever . i was advised to innoculate mysef with consumming local cold filtered honey . the theroy is it exposes me to the pollens in the area that irritate me.
Laugh as people do over this . i have not taken antihisthamines for years now. i love the taste . and at around 7$ a kilo buying 3-5 kg tubs its not that expensive in comparison to drug companies alternative chemicals.

Its meant to have a range of benificial properties not fully understood. oh and it employs local people . Everyones a winner .

An ol geezer who gave me a trailer load of old crown seal longnecks swore by the sea salt . I use unfiltered rain water like he did .
I know jack all about water profiling apart from the basics of burtonisation i imagine it adds a level of minerals to the equation to aid the hop utilization .
Basically i tried it with and without and worked out i prefered it with .
One day i should get more involved in the water chemistry but at the moment to many other jobs .
yep 2 packs rehydradeted. tried one last time built up over 2 days , worked fine just trying a nother tack .
it stretchs the recomendation on the pack . It was nearly climbing out the top last time cultured up on one pack so i feel safe on 2.
even with only 8 hours culture time ,it was craking on when i pitched.

So you add the honey addition in the secondary, just after the fermentation dies down?, I'll try that for my Black Cuillin clone when i brew it again and see if I have any luck, tried a few things that weren't noticeable enough.
I believe that about the pollen, I haven't had antihistamines for a couple if years since starting saline rinsing with a netti pot, basically rinsing the pollens away. Theres plenty of natural remedies that do actually work, I might even see if I can get a local honey which might bee a bit hard in the suburbs.

Helo Beertard.
Thats right . in the secondry after majority of the other malt sugars have been utilized . Its not so aggresive so helps it retain more of its character.
Its important the honey is raw ,cold extracted. Supermarket stuff is useless . it will all be proccessed.
To get a real good taste dont be afraid to use a kilo .
Its important to keep up your inoculation ,one long neck a night is a must. Sometimes 2 just to be sure .
A tea spoon in your coffee / tea is another way .
Local to me means anything in a few hundred kms . Pollens move around a lot . Pretty sure you will find something "local".
Your Black cuillin sounds interesting. I was mad on the Tallisker when i was there. Can not remember trying that but sure i would have .
Red gum honey has a strong rounded flavour that might work well with dark malts.

A light summer lager with a hop burst and honey sounds bloody good, I'll have to have a go at brewing it, a little scalled down from 84 litres though.
I'm trying to get family to send me some, it's called sky black now.

Latest posts

Back