Pilsenor Not Changing Fg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonydav

Reaction score
I've done a Pilsenor brew for a party coming up in about a month. Aim to be cheap fairly easy drinking swill for the masses. (And cheap:)).

Ingredients as follows:

2 x Brewiser Pilsenor (with their lager yeast)
1kg dextrose
1kg Coopers BE 1 (600g dextrose, 400g maltodextrin)
1kg Coopers BE 2 (500g dextrose, 250g malt, 250g maltodextrin)

Made up to 55.5L (for 3 x 18L kegs).

As I said, cheap swill for the masses.

It's been in for a bit over a week now and the FG reading has been stagnant at 1.015. I would have thought it should get to closer to 1.0 given the ingredients. Temps been at about 23 constant.

Suggestions on what I should do.

tony

just a few things i had picked up on, the kit yeast.. is it really a lager yeast? or a ale yeast under the lid, secondly hopfully it is a ale yeast as 23 deg is to high for a lager yeast, and even up there for a ale yeast

lastly did you airate well? and there may not have been enough yeast (2 packs for 55Lt)

food for thought

Deosn't sound too far out of spec. You do have 650g of maltodextrin there.

Gout said:
just a few things i had picked up on, the kit yeast.. is it really a lager yeast? or a ale yeast under the lid, secondly hopfully it is a ale yeast as 23 deg is to high for a lager yeast, and even up there for a ale yeast

lastly did you airate well? and there may not have been enough yeast (2 packs for 55Lt)

food for thought
As much as I can tell it's a Lager yeast. It says on the instructions that it's a "genuine bottom feeding lager yeast". It also says that it's brewing range is 15-30 degrees.

It was working that I can tell (judging by the crap up the side of the fermenter). Not sure why it's stopped (assuming it has of course).

Think it was pretty well aerated.

I think my two options are:

1. Keg it as is and hope for the best

2. Start another yeast and add to the brew.

I'm inclined to think the first as it tastes okay (for flat warm beer) and I haven't had luck in the past adding yeast at this stage.

Back