Pilsener's....and Bottle Conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoodoo

Reaction score
What would the recommended length of time be for bottle conditioning? I've made a half a dozen or so pilseners lately, with my "oldest" batch conditioning in their bottles for 4 months now. The others pilsener batches werre more recently bottled ~ 3months, 2.5months, 2months, 1month and one just bottled today. With half the brews I used the ESB Fresh Wort Kits, the other Half being the ESB 3kg kit with added hop plugs for flavour and aroma (and a bit of bitterness as well).

Any thoughts guys, as to how long I should wait before trying the brews? and is there a point at which they may actually start degrading in flavour - particularly with regards to the added hops flavour and aroma. I don't want to drink them too early, but I'd hate to think I've left them too late :( On the flipside, do you maybe suggest I try one bottle per week/fortnight/month (trial and error), say after the first month

Cheers :)

my pilsners are at the best after 12 months but are good at 8 months

I am definitely a fan of beer when it is more on the "fresh" side of things. I reckon the optimal age for bottle conditioning is 1 to 3 months. In fact I am currently drinking an all grain pilsner that has only been in the bottle for 10 days! That may be taking the whole "fresh" theory a bit too far :p but it is drinking mighty well (fully carbonated and no hint of it needing any more time to settle down) so I figued I might as well get stuck in! :D

I would definitely crack a bottle every week and as soon as it tastes like you want it, go for it - sounds like you certainly won't run out any time soon! Since you have so many pilsners at hand, it would be interesting to wait for a month or so (until your latest one is ready) and then do a big taste test.

You guys have much more patience than me!! a month is the longest I have left it after bottling!

its what happens after you have a near death experience and you have to give up drinking for 12 months. i didnt stop brewing just stopped drinking it

barls said:
its what happens after you have a near death experience and you have to give up drinking for 12 months. i didnt stop brewing just stopped drinking it
[post="88532"][/post]​

No wonder they tasted so good after 12 months then :D

yeah but they were the right age for what they are

Back