Pilsener

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi There,

I know that this topic has probably been covered.

But I am about to start brew 3 after a long spell, and was thinking about a beautiful pilsener ready for summer.

I am chasing a recipe for pilsener, preferrably kit, ( will hopefully progress shortly), or may even try an extract or partial mash recipe, if there is one.

More importantly, what steps are involved in the pilsener making process, fermenting times and temps, lagering times and temps, etc?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jase

Hi,

there are probably hundreds of versions out there however this isn't a bad place to start. just scroll down to enhanced kit for instructions.

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/BeerOTMonth/riggers_pils.htm

the grumpy's website also has some good ideas on this

http://www.grumpys.com.au/r1.php3?recipeid=10

fermenting temps will vary. however the grumpy site has the temps needed.

as for times will only you will really know when its done. check hydrometer readings but i would say approx 2 - 3 weeks primary and atleast 2 weeks secondary and then to put the lager in lagering rack it into a C C cube and lager for atleast 4 weeks, the longer the better.

the keg/bottle and prime as normal.

for more info just search the web or check out www.howtobrew.com its all there.

whoops, you could probably skip the secondary or reduce the time since lagering at 2-3 degrees will have the same effect.

:)

Jase,

If this is your third brew (sorry if I've got that wrong) and you are after a straightforward kit pilsener, then the ESB 3kg Czech Pilsener is excellent. Comes with the Saf w34/70 yeast and if you can keep your brew temp below about 14 (if you can brew it at 8-10 degrees all the better) you will enjoy the results. If you want to dry hop into secondary with some extra Saaz you'll come up with something even better.

Having said that there are dozens of better more complex recipes out there for you to try. Boiling extract with hop additions isn't a big step if you're keen. Neither is liquid yeast. Partial mashing is easier than you think but is more complex than just the straight boil so maybe try that first. Just thought I'd suggest a straight up and down kit alternative though.

Good luck,

Shawn.

I brew a munich heles kit based recipe.
ot a place in the ACT STate championships and top 9 finish in the Nationals...

Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsner
1 kg of dextrose
25gms Saaz pellets for dry hopping
make upto 19 ltrs.
use either wyeast 2308 munich lager or S189 yeast.

Make up a starter and pitch.
Brew at <14 degrees for 12 days. Do a diacetyl rest over next 3 days - back to room temp 18-22 degrees.
rack to secondary and dry hop - ensure pellets are steeped in boiling water for 3mins before pitching into wort.
Place secondary in the fridge and cold condition for 2-4 weeks.
Run thru the GMK inline filter into keg or bottling bucket.

This is one of the nicest and easiest/cheap beers to make.
Should not be disapointed...

Happy brewing..

Why not try a minimash of 750g Pils malt, 250g CPils

mix with 3L water, stirring all the time bring to 68C, hold it there for 75mins then stirring all the time bring mash to a boil and boil for 15 mins. Transfer the mash to a colander sitting in a big pan, sparge wih 2L hot water (80C) add kilo light extract, stir to dissolve, bring to a boil, skim the scum that will form, add 20g Saaz pellets and boil 30-60 mins.

Put kit into fermenter, add hot wort, mix, add chilled water, pitch etc etc

Jovial Monk

Don't mean to be rude JM but I'd do the sparge step first before the boil, I can't see any real advantage in boiling before the sparge and you should avoid tannins from the grain husks. Just my thoughts.

Cheers, Justin

As it is a mash, pH will be low and you can boil (decoct) the grains safely

The decoct will put some color and maltiness into the beer

I have performed many decoctions, even double decoctions, no tannins etc. I am not talking about boiling dark grains just steeped a bit!

Jovial Monk

Fair enough response.

Cheers, Justin

Jase,

Do you get your gear from Manfred on Queen St???

And do you have a pilsener/lager yeast strain???

Primary ferment at low temp 8-11oC for 2-3 weeks. Diacetyl rest 1-2 days at room temp. Rack to 2ndary for 4-6 weeks. Cold condition for 1-2 months

And if you want to sit in on a mash day just ask and we'll do one, one weekend

Hi Linz,

My first two brews back were a JS Nut Brown from CountryBrewer, and a Coopers Draught from Big W (just happen to see one whilst I was there). I was thinking of dropping in to see Manfred in the next week or so.

I don't have a yeast strain, was just going to buy some Saflager. Is that ok to use or is the liquid the GO? What's the best one to use?

Cheers,
Jase.

Do you have a fridge to ferment in??? If so liquid IS the go. hops add flavour..yes , but in my opinion tis the yeast that gives the truer flavour to a beer.
If you can cold ferment I have some Pilsen yeast starters(THANKS Doc) that I can get going for you.. If you dont have the fridge the Saflager would be the go, Id say as it would be more tolerant and suitable for the style of brewing, just find a nice cold room to brew in.

By The Way, are you getting closer?? First you were at Camden, now youre at Currans Hill! A couple more posts and you'll be next door!!! ;-P

Although i might be ostracised for saying this, i had a pilsener last week that my local hbs was doling out to customers.
It was made from one of those "fresh wort" kits where you get 15l or wort, and add 5l of water and some yeast.
A bit boring in a way, but god damned if it wasn't one of the best home brews i've ever tasted.

No baulling out here.....quickest way for those to try AG beers 20 litres at a time. If it is an ESB "fresh wort" kit then they are made by a small breweryand then cubed as they are cooled, so standard AG brew.

A true "Dump and Stir", Nothing wrong with that. The quickest way to get a quality brew down

Hi Linz,

That sounds great. I may have to take you up on your offer. However, I don't have a yeast to exchange with you. I suppose I can pop some finished bottles over to you come summer time. I'm open to suggestions.

Am going to Jaycar today, to buy a digital thermometer, to measure the temperature of my fridge, to see if cold fermenting and lagering are possible.

Jase

Hi Jase,

Be a bit wary of the readings you'll get from the digital thermometer from Jaycar. As I was building my Temp. Controlled Ferment Box, I tested the accuracy of the thermometer against the old mercury and the digital was out by upto 2 degrees at times (always lower) from the mercury.

:huh:

Jase,

These aquarium ones work pretty well. Picked this up from Dick Smith about 5 years ago for 25 bucks or so. Not sure if they still stock them. They use one AAA battery which lasts about 12 months or so. Just stick the probe into a bottle of water and leave it in your fridge.

Warren -

Warren,

That's the exact one that I am buying from Jaycar for $20. Dick Smith have them for $30.

Thanks,
Jase

Guys,
If your serious about a good plisner , AG , try Docs JS pilsner , I have the chiller in one right now , really nice , this is the third one I have brewed
And yes temp. controlled fermenting is a must

Batz,

Can you post the link to Doc's recipe?

Funny enough, I didn't seem real keen on the commercial JS Pilsener, when I bought a mixed case of JS beers last year. I tried the Pilsner Urquell last week, and that was a nice pilsener.

I'm thinking of trying to brew this, being the first pilsner made. Got a mate who's a pilsener freak, and thought it was be great, sitting around come summer time, drinking plenty.

Cheers,
Jase

Back