Pilsener Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeasty

Reaction score
Howdy,

Ive got a Pilsener here ready to go down but i would like to use some specialy grains in it.

So far ive got:

1x 1.7kg Coopers Brewmaster Pilsener
1x 1.5kg Coopers LME

and some Czech hops

What grains can i use to steep?

Also what would be a good yeast? Im thinking of trying Swiss Lager (S-189)?

Lastly what amounts of hops should i be using to boil / dry hop?

thanks.

How is this a partial? I don't see the partial mash in there... it's just kit and kilo with specialty grain.

You could start with some carapils, and maybe some cara aroma though.

Yeasty, like RWH said, a partial or mini mash is where you mash grain. The grain must be steeped at very specific temperatures, 65-66 deg C, then sparged, then boiled for at least 60 minutes. This allows the enzymes in the grain to convert the long chain starch or flour into malt sugars.

Specialty grains such as crystal, carapils, roast and chocolate only require a soak in warm water, 30-50 deg is fine. The grain is thrown away and the resulting solution must be boiled for at least 10 minutes. This is also a good time to do some hops additions.

Steep 200 gms of crushed carapils in a litre of warm water. Rinse through a strainer into a saucepan. Throw the grains away, do not squeeze to extract every last drop.

If you have a large saucepan, add a few more litres of water and a few hundred grams of your LME. Usual ratio is about 100 gms per litre.

You are going to simmer for a total of 20 minutes with three hops additions.

At the start of the simmer add 15 gms of Czech saaz hops.

Simmer for 10 minutes, add another 15 gms.

Simmer for 9 minutes, add the last 15 gms.

Simmer for 1 minute with the lid on, watch out for boil overs.

Turn off heat.

Stand saucepan (with lid on) in sink of cold water, with the depth of the cold water up to the depth of your lovely smelling malt and hops. Change the water a few times.

Make sure that strainer has been thoroughly washed.

Strain your wort into the fermenter, add the rest of the malts, top up.

Your Swiss lager yeast is an excellent idea.

If you like that amount of hoppiness, next time, up the hops to 20-25 gms per addition.

How is this a partial? I don't see the partial mash in there... it's just kit and kilo with specialty grain.

You could start with some carapils, and maybe some cara aroma though.

Becuase there are a few different definitions of what a partial actually is.

Using the specific term mash refers to using base grains. (ie mini mash, partial mash)

A partial (term used by itself) can be refered to as using part grain, part kit. I never said mash, so just steeping specialty grains its still a partial in my books.

My last batch was a golden ale type with 200g Carapils, so i know the method of doing it all, just wanted some suggestions on what specialty grains to use (trying to keep in in the pilsener ball park)

As well as suggestions on quantities of the Czech Saaz to use...

I thought carapils needed to be mashed to avoid starch haze?

MFS

i steeped it for my last batch and its crystal clear.

I thought carapils needed to be mashed to avoid starch haze?
Depends on the brand. Carapils(tm) doesn't need to be mashed, whereas some other dextrin malts do.

Latest posts

Back