Pils With Irish Ale Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
My ingredients for my Irish Red Ale still haven't arrive from Grumpy's, so i'm toying witht the idea of putting down a Pilsner with my Irish Ale Yeast
http://www.whitelabs.com/ratings.asp?id=WLP004

What do you guys reckon? It's not on WL's list of beers for this yeast. Do you think it will turn on OK?

Are you wanting to know if anyone has tried that yeast at lager temps, or how that yeast would go with Pilsner ingredients at ale temps ?
I'd say run it at the right temp for the yeast (ale temps) and with Pilsner ingredients you would still get a drinkable beer. As for true to style who really cares.

Doc

Well it's sitting at 18-20 degree in my basement at the moment, which is about perfect for the yeast i have. Just curious on what flavours it will come out with. Could be interesting. But i'm very good at "interesting" beers, trying to make something that's bloody good.

When i first started brewing, I did a lager during a very hot spell in adelaide when temps topped 45C. Brew came out remarkably quick, and tasted quite good, but for some reason was able to make people drowsy.

My Australian lager that placed 2nd in qld comp and third in the national comp used the whitelabs irish ale yeast. I brewed this beer with lager ingredients but fermented @ the irish ale yeast temps.

The irish ale yeast ferments very well and gives a nice dry finish to the beer, and a very clean taste.

Latest posts

Back