Pils Malt-jw Vs Weyermann Vs ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCWB

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm at the stage where I'd like to better understand the contribution of similar malts to a beer. Ale malts I'm ok with, but I was wondering if anyone has done side-by-side comparisons of various pilsener malts? Is there a discernable difference between Joe White, Hoepfner, Weyermann and anyone else's pilsener malt? Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers! :chug:

I like the Weyermann Bamberg Pils, but would always do a step mash with it.

The Joe White stuff is good if using lots of adjuncts

Jovial Monk

i have used the weyermans pils with no probs and with out a step mash and the ones with a mid floc yeast was clear and the one with the low floc yeast a bit cloudy .
But if you wanted to a short protien rest be okay buy since its a highly modified malt i dont see a need to step mash it

Jovial_Monk said:
I like the Weyermann Bamberg Pils, but would always do a step mash with it.

Jovial Monk
JM wrote
The Joe White stuff is good if using lots of adjuncts

I have never used any adjuncts & get through truckloads of the Joe Whites Pils with pretty good results. Even when doing 25litre batches I get results out of this product. I can't wait to get the chance to use the Powell's Malt that is sitting downstairs. If it gets results and is a good price I might use more of it.Doc how did you go with the Powells?
I have always felt that local grain gets the job done as well as if not better than imported stuff.
Cheers
Gerard
I need a lesson in how to use that quote box thing

Massa G,

U seem to have a grasp of the "quote box thing". Just click the quote box and edit he quote.
Done well, lad. Time for a beer. Aye, I.

R U busy in the last week of January? May need to take an expedition to ze pub. Wouldn't want to be a bother, but prob will be when I get there. It's the Dutch blood u C?

Thanks for your input everyone, seems likw I'll stick with JW for the moment then, as it's significantly cheaper. :)

Back