Quantcast

Pils/larger With Vienna

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

JFF

Reaction score
Once again, apologises for not knowing styles that well.
I am thinking about putting down a pils/larger on the weekend. I have a heap of pils and enough vienna for about 50% of hte base bill.

Would appreciate any input.

I have 3 yeasts to choose from, wlp 800,830, 840.
Hops are not a major issue as I will be visiting the local HB shop, but I do have sazz, cascade, and various nobles.

The feedback I'm after is really more pointed toward the use of vienna. Haven't had much experience here.

Cheers
JFF

action man

Reaction score
i would try and use 90% pils malt with 10% vienna for some slight colour and a bit more toastiness.

as for hops, you can use saaz, tettnanger or hallertau for both bitterness and aroma.

im not familiar with the yeasts on offer so i cant comment.

Weizguy

Barley Bomber
Reaction score
I have an answer 4 U from the May-June issue of Brew Your Own magazine.

Penny Pickart of the Briess Malting Company states "...use 10-30% Vienna malt with Pilsener beer to add colour and malty flavour". Also states "There's also a slight graininess that comes through in the beer".
Sounds good to me, and if it turns out well, U could send me some :lol:
Best of luck. Sounds like it'll make a great Summer beer.
How soon do U think U will be drinking it?

Jazman

Fishweide BrauHaus
Reaction score
if a pils it is not reckonmend to use hallertua according to daniels book

pint of lager

brewing on the verandah
Reaction score
One of my favourite brews using Vienna is a marzen style.

50% Weyermann Vienna
50% Weyermann Pilsner

og 1.055, IBU 26-28
hops either tettnang or hallertau, FWH with 30% of the bitterness hops

Yeast Czech pils

JFF

Reaction score
Weizguy said:
I have an answer 4 U from the May-June issue of Brew Your Own magazine.

Penny Pickart of the Briess Malting Company states "...use 10-30% Vienna malt with Pilsener beer to add colour and malty flavour". Also states "There's also a slight graininess that comes through in the beer".
Sounds good to me, and if it turns out well, U could send me some :lol:
Best of luck. Sounds like it'll make a great Summer beer.
How soon do U think U will be drinking it?
Drinking will probably be 2 months away.
2 weeks in the primary
At least 2 weeks in the fridge
At least 4 weeks in the bottle (Though I do tend to taste earlier)

Thanks for the replies, certainly makes me think.

J

Jovial_Monk

PoL hits the nail on the head (poor nail!)

Use Vienna in a Vienna beer, Oktoberfest and the like.

Another use for Vienna malt is to use it in a British Mild: both mild ale malt and Vienna malt share the characteristics of a tad more color & protein then the Pils/Ale malt equivalent. Reckon I sell more Vienna as a mild ale malt look-a-like than for Vienna beers

Jovial Monk

Justin

Reaction score
I've had a fantastic lager that was 100% Vienna malt. Recommended.

Sorry I have no further information on that as I didn't brew it but I'm certain of the grain bill. Yeast was most likely Ayinger, but also cannot confirm that either. Sorry. But vienna = yum

neonmeate

hello
Reaction score
yeah i'm curious what a 100% vienna pils would be like, i'm sure itd be nice and fat and malty, maybe a good base for a bohopils rather than a german one, wlp800 would bring out that malty goodness.

and just my opinion, but i love hallertau in a pils! heaps of great german pilseners use it like jever and bitburger. ive made a couple of pilseners with a hallertau/tettnang combination and i think it's nice. gives it a nice minty herbal flavour. of course if you want to make a czech pils then stick with saaz.

MAH

Reaction score
Last year I made a lager with 100% Vienna malt, OG 1.050. Used Tettnanger at 60mins with no late additions for about 22IBUs. Fermented using 34/70.

It was a top drop, very malty, not really a Summer thirst quencher. It was well received at an AGers tasting session.

I've also used 20% Vienna when making a Bohemian Pilsner. It gives the beer a tad darker colour and maltier flavour than all Pils malt (and no need for a decoction).

I wouldn't use Vienna in a German Pilsner.

Cheers
Mark

JFF

Reaction score
Jovial MAH and everyone else ....
You have helped heaps. I really do appreciate the help from the forum. The only down side is I think I am going to have to find time to put down two brews....

Not a bad situation if you are looking for a positive I guess ... just means more beer to drink.

I willl post the recipes once I get them down.

I have a wlp800(pils) and wlp840 (american lager) starters going.

Just to upset the die hards .... I was searching this forum and came across a thread on fruit beer. I am considering putting a clean pils down and racking to a couple of L's of fruit as an experiment ..... sorry guys.

Not sure how someone who loves a smoked stout / porter goes to fruit beer .... but I love playing.

Thanks again for the feedback

Latest posts