Piezo Ignition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding my brewery and part of the upgrade is the installation of "Nasa" type burners.

The previous brewery had a three ring and four ring burners and I had spoiled myself with the luxury of piezo ignition to light the burners.
This saved me the hazardous task of lighting the burners with a lighter.

My concern with the "nasa" burners is that the heat they put out may damage the piezo unit as the electrode needs to be very close to the flame.

Has anyone got a "nasa" with an auto light up feature that they have fitted or I may even consider a pilot light system?

Cheers

Funny you should mention that Dicko,

I spent some time recently trying to install a BBQ piezo lighter onto my NASA-style burner without any luck. I fitted it on alright, and it sparked nicely, but it wouldn't seem to actually light the gas. My guess it the gas comes out way to quick for the tiny little spark to make it ignite. I've given up and just gone back to using one of those lighters with a long stem on it so I don't burn my hand.

Dicko , I will let you know tommorrow .

Scrogster positioning is essential

Pumpy

Well I am pleased others are thinking along the same lines.

Pumpy, are you fitting a starter to your burners?

Cheers

OK brewingstonworthly's,
I'll be the first to admit somethings I have are over engineered, however with these burners you need to just be a man and get your hands under there and light the bloody thing. :ph34r: ;)

Just kidding
I have pilot lights and gas solienoids and what not everywhere in my arsenal but haven't bothered to put them onto these burners when I upgraded from the tiny piss ant three ring burners on the BBQ regulator.

All that said I have put all the pieces together for pilot lights and solienoids for them but simply haven't put them into work yet.
I just thought I'd touch base with the guys that are putting a few bells and whistles' on there turkey fry the guts out of burners.

Maybe this thread may just be the ticket to me finally rigging all the gear up to turkey frying heaven. :super:

Going to California
Jayse

Hi Jayse,

I am dissapointed I missed the BBD, sounds like you all had a good time.

Back to the burners!

The problem that I have with my new designed brewery is that the boil kettle is now less than two feet off the ground and when you are 6'5" tall and with knees that are stuffed through years of bending and kneeling, climbing up ladders and generally carrying more weight than they should have been for the last 5 or six years, it becomes a real task to get down and under to light the bottom burner.

A Piezo spark that works will solve the problem :p

Cheers

Dicko

you could always get one of those "Jacobs Ladder" kits from Jaycar, they hook up to a car coil and have a massive arc, well it's a couple of cm anyway. The arc will go through a piece of paper and light it up so it should have no problems lighting up LPG.

Not sure if it's real practical though

Hoops

Hi Hoops,

Sort of like starting a "lightning" farm.

Just harness the biggest flash and then use it to start the burner :lol:

Just dont be touching the frame when you are lighting it up :D

Oh! and wear rubber soled shoes!

Now this is gettin' silly :ph34r:

Cheers

Might not be as silly as it sounds - why not use a spark plug and ignition coil? Heat resistant, big spark, heaps of fun.

I don't think you'd need a very big DC power supply, you'd just need a pushbutton switch to emulate the points and trigger the coil...

In my factory I had an old shrink wrap torch/flamethrower fitted with a piezio trigger and a sparkplug. It worked second pull every time.

ps. It had no power supplies or coils but the piezio was a big mother. It would have required twice the actuating pressure that a BBQ unit needs.

Ar ar ar...

caution.gif

Dicko I am going to fit , I was too busy today but I will find out tomorrow .

Pumpy

[Scrogster positioning is essential]

Pumpy and co: any tips on positioning the piezo ignitor to get it to work? I tried a few different ways of putting it on my NASA burner without any luck. A piccy of a working installation would be great!

I am in the process of building one but I have to use a control box which is working out a bit expensive , need some more time.
Pumpy

Back