Pid To Ssr Wiring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
g,day.i am pissing about with the setup of my control box and am wondering about the correct way to wire it,no i am not doing myself i just need to know so i can explain it to the sparkie when/if he asks.

so my question is this..
12volt feed goes into the pid (1/32 din) then from the 2 terminals on the pid (marked ssr output) to the low voltage side of the ssr.
the output end of the ssr is then connected to the element via a switch (to isolate the ssr).

i assume that no 240v goes to the pid as it is only 12v powered? and this would fry the pid?

if this sounds confussing you are not the only one.and yes i know bugger all about electrics,but am just trying to get it sorted.

the box is for a pid controlled biab setup with 2 kmart kettle elements.
1 element will be run directly from a seperate circuit in my shed for boiling ,the other will be controlled by the pid/ssr for maintaining the temps during the mashing process.

cheers...spog...

If your PID controller is 12V powered, then yes, you don't need any 240V to go the controller. The PID controller will supply a DC output to the SSR. The only 240V will be the active being switched via the SSR.

If u need to explain it to sparky then youve got the wrong sparky. U may as well do it yourself.
There are pics in the herms thread incl a pic from myself with mine wired up to a k type therocouple.

Edit.actually there isnt a pic of that part of the wiring from mine. Others have posted gheirs. I will poat mine up also. Most likely monday.

ahh,just as i thought thanks billygoat,cm2 looking forward to your pics come monday.

thanks and cheers...spog......

If u need to explain it to sparky then youve got the wrong sparky. U may as well do it yourself.
There are pics in the herms thread incl a pic from myself with mine wired up to a k type therocouple.

Edit.actually there isnt a pic of that part of the wiring from mine. Others have posted gheirs. I will poat mine up also. Most likely monday.

Good luck finding a sparkie that knows how to wire one of these. I had the same problem when getting mine wired up & yes, they are Electricians, but this is not something they do on a daily basis or have probably ever done in their training or in the field. My sparkie got it sorted eventually but it had him rattled for two days. I got some great info & a wiring diagram from Matho which got me sorted.

Best bet is finding an electronics dude, someone who fixes TV or guitar amps or alike.

Someone who works with a little 240v but understands electronics too...

I had a good mate who works at a musical instrument wholesaler service department as a repair technician do mine, he was all over it, no dramas.

Also, got the idea of looming all the internal wiring inside the control box, heat shrink etc.

Oh, and sure - he is a qualified sparky :ph34r:

there are industrial electricians and there are domestic electricians. 2 very different jobs same qualifications.

there are industrial electricians and there are domestic electricians. 2 very different jobs same qualifications.

:icon_offtopic: Industrial myself. Most of us agree that the trade should be industrial/domestic split instead of the current fitter/mechanic split.

Latest posts

Back