Pid Settings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky

hop addict
Reaction score
Finally set up my RIMS this weekend, did a trial run on water with the standard settings and got quite a but of temp fluctuation. After some searching on the web I was thinking of trying

P - 100
I - 50
D - 20

Anyone gone through a tuning process and found a better place to start?
cheers

Not that I can find in the manual or the menus. Its a Sestos D1S( a cheapie off ebay) sounds like I should get me a better unit?
Edit, a search of online manuals for the unit brings up how to do an auto tune! cheers

I also have a cheapie PID on evilbay too.

I did an autotune with around 15L of water in my system (and no grain), and it seems to work just fine with a grain bill too.

Also did some autotunes with smaller 10L batches and the settings still work fine.

Mine rarely overshoots and if it does its only ever less than 1 degree.

been running auto tune for an hour or so now. put in a set point of 55 degrees and its steadily rised to 65 so fur and climbing, do signs of it slowing. Does that seem normal for the auto tune?

No that certainly does not seem right. That is a significant overshoot!

My PID does not overshoot to any great degree.

What is your process to test it atm?

[I would suggest adding say 15L (for a 5kg grist - but dont add the grist) of around 60 degree water into MT then run the system and set auto tune for 66 and see how it goes.]

My process test was to fill my system with 45L of water and run the auto tune with a set point of 65 degrees. The autotune wasn't working and not sure why. Reset it and started again and all worked fine. Autotuned for 10 minutes with .4 degrees of overshoot. Then did some ramping up to simulate mash out. Ramped nice and fast and no overshoot. Only issue is that it takes a while for the whole 45L to equalise at 75 degrees due to the low flow rate through the system(trying to reduce airation on wort return). Many experiments to be had. PID is all good now but mostly through trial and error. The instructions with the Sestos PID's are worthless

Glad to read its working.

Yep the dodgy chinese shorthand manual on mine was ordinary too.

I insulate my mash tun too now.

Once you have a mash in lieu of water it will tend to hold constant temperature better and reduce overshooting more so.

My process test was to fill my system with 45L of water and run the auto tune with a set point of 65 degrees. The autotune wasn't working and not sure why. Reset it and started again and all worked fine. Autotuned for 10 minutes with .4 degrees of overshoot. Then did some ramping up to simulate mash out. Ramped nice and fast and no overshoot. Only issue is that it takes a while for the whole 45L to equalise at 75 degrees due to the low flow rate through the system(trying to reduce airation on wort return). Many experiments to be had. PID is all good now but mostly through trial and error. The instructions with the Sestos PID's are worthless

I'm having trouble understanding my English version.

Bloody Dumbass ( me that is )

here is a moification of the instruction manual that works for a"lot" of the cheap ebay PIDs - it was tweaked by a guy who runs his as a controller for a coffee machine.

Makes things work a lot better than the original instructions - no idea if its the right thing for you rparticular PID though.

View attachment PID_Manual_2__proper_.doc

TB

Latest posts

Back