Pics Of The New Brewstand, And A Pump Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shunty

Reaction score
Hey all, finaly finished the stand for the new setup
stand3pl.jpg

It's all dexion, with a ply shelf for the mlt/kettle. Anyway, unfortunately i don't have a garage, so i have to leave it outside. I was thinking i could attach some hard drive magnets to the base of the pump (march 809) so i can stick it to the frame when i'm using it, and take it inside when i'm done.

Being a mag drive pump, will having hard drive magnets so close to the pump stuff up it's operation?

cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Always nice to see a new brewery born :)

I don't know how the magnets would affect the running of the pump, and it's not such a bad idea. But what about just running two ocky straps over the pump-being dexion the frame is designed for the little hooks. Otherwise you could mount the pump to a board of ply using PVC downpipe clamps or make some metal straps to secure it (I'm assuming it must not have a base plate on the pump-if it does make a bracket for it to slide into) and then fashion a way to slide this board into the frame or something. Lots of options.

Cheers, Justin

Hi shunty,

Nice set up - very simple yet functional.
Some time ago a guy posted a pic of a March pump which he had fitted inside of a plastic tackle box. His idea was so that he could store it awaywhen not in use.
I also recall that MAH on this forum may have a similar set up for his pump as well.

Just a thought

Cheers

dicko said:
Some time ago a guy posted a pic of a March pump which he had fitted inside of a plastic tackle box. His idea was so that he could store it awaywhen not in use.

Cheers
[post="77540"][/post]​
Shunty,
I plan on doing something similar with dexion.

A variation on the plastic tackle box theme, is to buy one of those cheap clear/opaque plastic boxes with lids(bigger versions have wheels) from discount shop like cheap as chips or cunninghams. I saw a piccy of one on the net done this way with holes drilled in the sides for the outlet/inlet lines. In that way you can keep the lid on and it remains splashproof.

Cheers
Roach

The pump does have the base on it, I was planning on using that to attach it somehow, then slipping a length of suitably cut pvc downpipe ofer it to keep out splashes (got the pipe lying around)

The other option was to make a couple of wooden brackets with a c cross section and holes that line up with the base plate holes, slide the base into that, and drop pins/bolts through the holes to keep her in place

oh, and what the hell is an ocky strap? I don't speak australian just yet :D

cky strap= octopus stap which is a eslatic rope with a hook on each end

plus wish you were on this board last year as you would of been able to tell some place to drink out will i was in dunedin to sample that good emersons stuff

Shunty said:
Hey all, finaly finished the stand for the new setup

It's all dexion, with a ply shelf for the mlt/kettle. Anyway, unfortunately i don't have a garage, so i have to leave it outside. I was thinking i could attach some hard drive magnets to the base of the pump (march 809) so i can stick it to the frame when i'm using it, and take it inside when i'm done.

Being a mag drive pump, will having hard drive magnets so close to the pump stuff up it's operation?

cheers
Andrew
[post="77510"][/post]​

Nice set-up Andrew. I confirm, do not try hard drive magnets. An electric motor such as that pump is essentially and electro-magnetic device. An armature is rotated within a field of induced magnetic current. Introducing another source of magnetism would not be to the liking of the motor. I been reading that an ordinary strap that holds your rainwater downpipe to the wall is quite an easy way to secure those motors to something like your set-up.

:chug:
PeterS....

Cheers peter, thought the magnets may be a no-go.

Jazman - emmersons are quite possibly the best brewery in NZ, the IPA is fantastic. Richard Emmerson is a real good ******* as well, scored some cara-red, cara-aroma and melanoidin off him the other day. we spent an hour wandering around the brewery tasting different malts

Back