Pickled cucumber salt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i came to this thinking WTF does cucumber flavored salt taste like.....

but now i think i want to pickle some cucumber.... :icon_drool2:

I guess my title is a little out..

But what kind of salt (w/ links pls) does everyone use?

scooterism said:
But what kind of salt (w/ links pls) does everyone use?
I use pure sea salt. No Anti Caking agents, No alterations at all. Saxa have rock salt with no additives, that I use.
Himalayan Salt if you fancy but it must be genuine. Sea water is actually at 3.5% Salinity you could use that for pickle ferments but its a bit high for my preference. I use 2.5% Salinity for natural fermented pickles. For vinegar pickles just use pure sea salt.
Funny enough the purest is the most unprocessed. Pool salt is as simple and as minimal as processing goes to be cheap enough. Additional additives just make it more complicated and expensive but take that as you will.

scooterism said:
So, my above above link is good?
Check ingredients I'm pretty sure that one has Anti Caking Agent.
Click your link then the >> to see the Rock Salt. That's the one you want in the Saxa brand. With rock salt they can get away without adding Anti Caking Agents.

The Flakes seem to get away without any Anti Caking Agent as well but far too expensive and its processes through machines that also process a bunch of other stuff like Rye, Barley, Soy, Milk products etc.

I use Woollies homebrand non-iodised table salt. It's cheap and works well for brining, pickling and fermenting. You won't be able to taste the difference between the homebrand salt and branded product when you use it for brine/pickle.

Sea salt is not a great option because it will naturally contain iodine. Not as much as iodised salt.

Latest posts

Back