Pick Apart And Or Destroy My Aussie Ale.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish13

Reaction score
I don't enough exactly for my williamette amber ale but i do have some grains for an aussie pale ale

the tommy ruff
Australian Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 15.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.000
Total Hops (g): 30.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 6.0 (EBC): 11.8
Bitterness (IBU): 33.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.000 kg Munich I (33.33%)
1.000 kg Vienna (33.33%)
0.500 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Light (16.67%)
0.500 kg Pale Malt (16.67%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Pride of Ringwood Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
10.0 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20C with Safeale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I do have a shitload of other hops in the fridge and different yeasts too but was looking at using the rest of the pride of ringwood flowers i got before it is too late.

Looks alright to me fish....haven't used Vienna before though, so not sure what it'll contribute, and if it's to style.

With that in mind the only thing i'd change would probably be use US05 instead of 04, or you could even grab some yeast from some Coopers Green and use that if you are comfortable with reculturing yeast.

will be maltier than aussie ales with all the munich and vienna, but that's not a bad thing at all. I second the reccomendation for reculturing CPA yeast. It's a great yeast and alot more versatile than it is given credit for.It will ferment out to a lower FG than 1.012

Looks alright to me fish....haven't used Vienna before though, so not sure what it'll contribute, and if it's to style.

With that in mind the only thing i'd change would probably be use US05 instead of 04, or you could even grab some yeast from some Coopers Green and use that if you are comfortable with reculturing yeast.

i'm battling bottle infections o i dnt want to risk it.

i dont 05 but i do have brew cellar premium ale yeast. anyone know what it is?

the veinna gives sligthly toffeeness and toasty flavour to it and i am guessing the munich will be the backbone.

Pretty sure the brewcellar english is 04 and the premium is 05, repackaged.

You'll get a much maltier (as in toasty, bready, biscuity) result with the munich and vienna in there than a typical aussie commercial type but to my mind that isn't a bad thing at all.

What brand of munich and vienna are you using?

I'd drop the late addition of POR, it would just make it harsh. I'd also recommend mashing at a slightly lower temp so you have more fermentables and a drier beer. The munich and vienna will make it plenty malty enough.

The english ale yeast will work fine, (lets face it with the vienna and munich its not really going to be all that aussie) keep it at ale temps early on and then once you're half way through let it rise gradually to about 23 degrees to get some of the desirable fruitiness.

cheers

grant

i did mean for it to be flowers of POR i am using not the pellets.

Um all i know manticle is there munich 1 and vienna other then that i got no idea but i guess weymerrans? (sp)

thanks guys

I got the urn on and the mash tun warming up. the kids are screaming the missus is asleep and the movie has finished so its brew on, feed the kids and cook dinner boil wort....

I'd drop the late addition of POR, it would just make it harsh. I'd also recommend mashing at a slightly lower temp so you have more fermentables and a drier beer. The munich and vienna will make it plenty malty enough.
cheers
grant

Grant has it here, you don't want POR as a late addition.
Now do you really want and Aussie Ale or Lager?
If it's a lager the mega swillers will like it and it's good summer beer. Now aussie ales are a thing of the past so it back to the 50's, I for one love to rediscover this style and I'm doing heaps of research and brewing to recreate it, it's not too malty but quite bitter.

batz

If it's flowers I wouldn't hesitate to use some late. I've used pellets late quite successfully but you need to be sure they are fresh

what should i replace the late addition POR with then?

I have

columbus
glacier
target
hallertau
fuggles
citra
williamette
POR
and magnum.

I'll gladly substitute for both for either of the hops i have listed.

Now aussie ales are a thing of the past so it back to the 50's, I for one love to rediscover this style and I'm doing heaps of research and brewing to recreate it, it's not too malty but quite bitter.

batz

Batz,

is that "pre" six o clock swill?

If it's flowers I wouldn't hesitate to use some late. I've used pellets late quite successfully but you need to be sure they are fresh

^this.

I've also done some POR with FWH, 30min, and a late addition. Came out really well.

Definitely, freshness is the key with this one....The Ellerslie supplied POR i did this with were great. Very moist, obviously fresh, great aroma etc...

Batz,

is that "pre" six o clock swill?

Yes it is.

what should i replace the late addition POR with then?

Really nothing fish, well a little Cluster if your going Aussie lager. Other wise one a just the one bittering addition.

batz

Those flowers will give plenty of flavour in a single 60 min addition.

DONE single 60 addition it is. the mash is currently draining into the big pot but i am crossed between using the pot to using the urn... so its still a 3v setup

Now aussie ales are a thing of the past so it back to the 50's, I for one love to rediscover this style and I'm doing heaps of research and brewing to recreate it, it's not too malty but quite bitter.

batz

Interesting.

Korev did a bit of research into the style a year or so ago and piqued my interest after a discussion post his JZ show broadcast. The bitterness of the post war era was a far cry from the early days of the style apparently where it was seriously impacted by malt and hop prices and their availability.

I do think it's an important mission for us to keep these styles alive and would be interested in seeing the recipes you're refining Batz.

cheers

grant

Latest posts

Back