Phuket - Thailand.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyG

Reaction score
Hey Fella's,

I'm off to Phuket in June-July, with my girlfriend, could someone recommend, good place's to eat and drink, and maybe what resort/hotel you stayed and whether it was any good or not?

I have found some good info in regards to beer prices! Which make me very happy :D

Chang (Thailand's best-selling beer) 17 - 25 Baht AUS $0.50-1.00

Singha Beer 25 - 30 Baht AUS $1.00-1.20

Heineken Beer 36 Baht AUS $1.20

Maybe I could try some other Thai beers while I'm over there :chug:

I liked the Chang actually. Drank heaps of it when I was over there (probably the cheapest one). Also a bit of Leo and Singha which were ok. And so Heineken (the push this beer hard there).

Enjoy your trip anyway. You'll be hanging for ice cold beers on those 35oC steamy days. Don't let em put ice in your beer though, probably won't be a problem down south in a well travelled area.

Cheers, Justin

Sometimes. If they don't have a fridge. Why don't they just keep the bottles in the ice? Buggered if I know, I did try to ask with not much success. It actually only happened once in Northern Thailand and what a frothy bubbly mess it was too. A shemozel.

But the ice addition is particularly common for soft drinks. Try and avoid the ice unless you like bell aches and over hydrated p..p

Being down on Phuket shouldn't be a problem though. Cheap beer. Yay.

And coconuts. Yum. Also Mussaman Curry. Double Yum. Oh and Pad Thai. Mmmmm. You'll love it there.

Don't bring any drugs back now will you ;)

JD

Hey Barney,

Forget the beer, go straight to the whiskey, it's laced with speed. Though I forget which type of ice you need to check for (one is a solid block ice-cube and the other has a hole in it if I remember correctly). One type of ice-cube is OK for everyone, and the other should only be had by the Thais themselves.......

Good Luck and have fun, it's a top place.

I remember having the local ice in Bali, and boy was I sick :huh: I think if I stick to bottled beer, I shold be fine! But SWMBO might be in spot off bother with no cider's around I dare say.

I'm going to go crazy on the thai curries though! :D

Top place. Unreal food. Suss beer. Passable whiskey. Great hops.

Hint: Hire motorbike and ride around island. Find out of way resort desperate for guests and spend a night away from your paid accommodation. For about AUS$15-25 you can find some really great secluded places slightly off the tourist track, but still very comfortable.

Been there a couple of times when I was in the Navy

Patong Beach is a bloody nice place to be, there are hotels of all levels.

Along the beach up past the bars there's an awesome seafood market/restaurant.
A lot of the bars are run by Australians so be prepared to hear plenty of Gangajang, Redgum and Chisel being played.

The bars charge around 80 baht for a beer but you can go to 7-11 and pay that for a hip flask of mekong whiskey for the same price.

Awesome place just don't pay too much for anything, bargain your arse off!

cheers

BarneyG said:
I remember having the local ice in Bali, and boy was I sick :huh: I think if I stick to bottled beer, I shold be fine! But SWMBO might be in spot off bother with no cider's around I dare say.

I'm going to go crazy on the thai curries though! :D
That'd be because the local ice is made with local water and contains local greeblies. A lotta people overlook that and get a good case of Bali Belly (Shittin' in litres and firin' both ends, I'll never shit solid again).

I tried a Singha the other night. It was nice and light, but the hop character pulled it a bit out of balance, I felt.

Beautiful place, I stayed at Patong beach.
Around that area, check out the couple of aussie bars, I recall the Kangaroo bar going off at night.
Heineken is $1.20 for 1 litre if I remember correct! You can buy it from the 711 store.
I would recommend you stay at Patong, there is a lot of good hotels/restaurants there, and the missus will like the shopping!
My tip would be not to drink the water and no ice! - Giuardia in the water suply. Also be careful where you eat too, I always pick a place where there are a lot of people/locals eating....you know it will be OK.
Have fun!

Thanks for the tips fella's, I'll post some pic's when I return early July. ;) I will be staying at Patong Beach, Busakorn Wing Holiday Inn, looks awesome B) The only thing that's going to concern me is the weather <_<

Back