Ph Probe Recommendations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Gas Man

Reaction score
I am wanting to start to measure the pH of the mash, to help me experiement with brewing salts additions.

Can anyone suggest a pH meter they use and are happy to recommend?

I am wanting to start to measure the pH of the mash, to help me experiement with brewing salts additions.

Can anyone suggest a pH meter they use and are happy to recommend?

Didn't really expect much when I got my el-cheapo pH meter about 5 months back but after reading up on ph meters then getting some pH storage solution from EnolTech to keep the probe permantly damp it's working well so far. The storage solution cost more than the pH meter. :blink:

TP

I have an ebay cheapie too and it seems to be fine. But.....pH measurement is logarithmic, so an accuracy of a meter of +/- 0.1 is a fairly large change in the actual pH.

If you can find a reasonably priced (cheap?) one that has +/- 0.01 accuracy and resolution, has replaceable probes, you should get it.

I know HoppinMad found that his Hanna replacement probes ended up being as expensive as the unit itself! So do you research on that!

I have an ebay cheapie too and it seems to be fine. But.....pH measurement is logarithmic, so an accuracy of a meter of +/- 0.1 is a fairly large change in the actual pH.

If you can find a reasonably priced (cheap?) one that has +/- 0.01 accuracy and resolution, has replaceable probes, you should get it.

I know HoppinMad found that his Hanna replacement probes ended up being as expensive as the unit itself! So do you research on that!

I also believe that if you are going to bother to measure pH, then you should do it accurately. You wouldn't mash with a thermometer that was only accurate to 10 Degrees, so why accept the same accuracy with a pH meter ?

I cannot fault my Hanna HI98128

21YMcVDSsrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Measures pH and Temperature - accurate to 0.01 ph and 0.1 Deg C, automatic everything (calibration, temperature compensations etc), totally waterproof (for washing and oops'ing) and you can also replace the probe if you wish.

HTH,
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't really expect much when I got my el-cheapo pH meter about 5 months back but after reading up on ph meters then getting some pH storage solution from EnolTech to keep the probe permantly damp it's working well so far. The storage solution cost more than the pH meter. :blink:

TP

I should add that the seller in the link above sells replaceable probes for the above model.
As usual you get what you pay for.

TP

I bougt this one Amazon wont sell this item to Australia I had to get someone in the US to buy it and then post to me. The price of this in Ozz is prohibitive but it does the job with excellence.
http://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-Po...7631&sr=1-5
Cheers Altstart

Yes I bought this too and it was fantastic... until the probe started giving innacurate readings after a year or so. A replacement probe for this meter is $270 in Australia and is only guaranteed for six months by hanna... and they suggest you replace them least every 12 months if you want accuracy. They do have some cheaper models with more reasonably priced replacement probes though. Give them a call. They are very helpful.

In fact if you want mine its yours... you will just have to fork out $270 to replace the probe

In a reasonable price range, papers that measure down in the 4-6 range are probably the only really reliable method. I've got a $225 one here that jumps between readings of 5.15 to 5.95 in a clear wort :wacko: , worse still in the mash with grains. It's set to go into the bin.

Papers simply change colour and you use the chart to compare. Any decent laboratory supplier should have them in packs of 50-100 for a few dollars.

Our new Ph meter is only $57 & with replacement probes under $20 I don't think you'll beat it for value...

Ph Meter

Cheers

Ross
CraftBrewer

Our new Ph meter is only $57 & with replacement probes under $20 I don't think you'll beat it for value...

Ph Meter

Cheers

Ross
CraftBrewer

I've got one of those and it's been quite decent. I've been using it to track pH progression in a Mead I'm doing buffered with Potassium Carbonate and the meter is quite consistent and seems to test my test solutions properly...

Ph Meter

Cheers

Ross
CraftBrewer

Ross

I was looking at this model on your website last night. From memory it said that the temperature range was 0-50C.

How will this be effective if I am measuring mash temps of about 70C?

Cheers
Paul

Ross

I was looking at this model on your website last night. From memory it said that the temperature range was 0-50C.

Cheers
Paul

take a small sample out of the mash tun and cool it down to 50C in a bowl of cool water

Ross

Cheers
Paul

Two things wrong with measuring at such a high temperate

1. The pH of a solution varies with temperature so the target values that you read are those measured at approx room temperature - ie the dissociation of the H and OH ions to produce the pH changes at different temperatures. Don't confuse this with the "Temperature Compensation" feature is just compensating for the change in the way the probe measures at different temperatures.

2. Exposing the probe to such high temperatures reduces its life substantially.

So, chill before measuring

I also believe that if you are going to bother to measure pH, then you should do it accurately. You wouldn't mash with a thermometer that was only accurate to 10 Degrees, so why accept the same accuracy with a pH meter ?

I cannot fault my Hanna HI98128

21YMcVDSsrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Measures pH and Temperature - accurate to 0.01 ph and 0.1 Deg C, automatic everything (calibration, temperature compensations etc), totally waterproof (for washing and oops'ing) and you can also replace the probe if you wish.

HTH,
Dave

Sorry if this is a noob question, but the website says: Temperature -5.0 to 60.0C / 23.0 to 140.0F

Mash temps are generally higher than 60.0 though...

I am yet to start testing my PH but am thinking I should. I would have thought that you would want to take a test once you add the grain, and as I mash in a modified esky, I can't ramp it up (until I go herms or rims). I could test it with less water, and then add more to bring it to temp, but again I would have thought that would affect the PH.

OR, should I just ignore the 60 C specifications and just test anyway?

Thanks

EDIT:
Ahh, it looks like my questions have been asked and answered above. Sorry, I had this open in a browser from a week or so ago...

Back